Chapter three

She thought he could flirt

Chapter three:

Elizabeth was sleeping on Bobby’s couch when suddenly a consistent knocking on the front door made her wake up with a start.

She jumped off the couch and watched as Bobby lit the room and wiped his sleepy eyes before peering through the door.

He opened the door exposing Uncle Gerard (I once mentioned him as Gary it was a mistake and I edited it), Zachariah’s best friend since college. Elizabeth grinned from ear to ear before running to him and embracing him in a hug.

“Hey there kiddo” he said softly rubbing her back, she smiled against his shirt’s fabric. Gerard lifted his head and looked at Bobby

“Ella called me, she’s running late with a client and Zachariah had to go somewhere to fix some problems in his company, I’ll take the kids and they’ll stay over at our place.”

Bobby nodded and yawned before entering a room and walking out with Ian curled in his arms.

“She told me to thank you too” Bobby smiled and nodded.

“Take good care, they’re still kind of my responsibility” Bobby said in a deep voice which showed how a minute ago he was fast asleep.

Gerard chuckled,” you’re one fine man, I’ll see you later” he said.

Elizabeth followed Gerard till she stepped inside the car, her heart was pounding strongly and fast, she felt like her breath was too little and her lips were a little dry. She didn’t like the way she nibbled on her nails since she wants them to grow longer and she hated how her hands got all sweaty around the books she held.

At least she did the homework she was supposed to do.

Every now and then, Elizabeth and her brother would sleep at Gerard’s place. They would be the best days, with Ian busy playing with Tim and her busy talking to Sam, everything was always fun.

The ride was silent except for when Uncle Gerard offered her ice-cream and she didn’t refuse, they stopped at a shop and woke Ian up who kept groaning and whining which made them regret ever touching him and after this detour was finished, they reached Sam’s house.

The lights were out, the house was dark and Elizabeth ignored that disappointment that attacked her with the idea that she won’t see Sam and they won’t hang out together.

They walked inside the house that was considerately hers as well and she tiptoed up the stairs behind Gerard who was carrying Ian –who slept again after the ice-cream- to Tim’s room.

“if Tim was awake, this house would have turned into a circus with those two here” he said and chuckled softly, Elizabeth smiled politely, he pointed at the guest room she sleeps in when she stays over and he muttered over his shoulder,” you know that this is your home, Beth. Do whatever you want and I’m going to hit the sack”

Elizabeth nodded and stepped inside the room, looked around even though she knew every corner of this room and then she plopped her body on the mattress.

A silent while passed by, she wasn’t sure whether it was fast or slow but they did pass and she couldn’t control the urge anymore. She stood up, changed her clothes using the clothes she left at their place in case of sudden sleep-overs like this one and then she got out of the room and tiptoed as slowly and silently as possible  to the direction of Sam’s room.

When she did reach it, she turned the knob and winced when it made a slight noise and yet she tried convincing herself that it’s so loud because she knows she’s doing something a little weird and that’s why every single noise will appear like it’s an announcement to what she’s doing.