Chapter 9: Hammer and Elves

“Come on Eddie, we’re going to be late for class.” Said Princess Amy pulling him out of their Training classroom. She was in quite a hurry to leave and for good reason.

That day the Creatures class took up the entire arena so they had a book day going over all the possible battle strategies available in their Training class with Ox. From sneak attacks with assassins during the night to archers from the rear with men on horses leading the charge, Ox planned to go over every single battle strategy and the actual outcome in history.

That day they had gone over the very bloody battle in the capital of Bydale when the two kingdoms were at war with one another and a tribe of ogres had infiltrated the city. When they gotten to the part at how Eddie’s 10 time great grandfather had decapitated an ogre’s head while, his wife had pulled the guts of another out of him, shoving them down his throat in the nursery, the class sadly had to come to an end.

The girls were beyond words at how glad they were to leave. Even some of the boys had needed to excuse themselves to relieve their stomachs of all it’s content. Eddie, Josh, and John were slightly green as they escorted the ladies out of the room.

“I knew that your who-knows-how-many-times great grandfather was messed up, but nobody told me your who-knows-how-many-times great grandmother was insane! Give a guy a little warning!” Said Josh gagging a bit as they walked to the forges located at the back of the magical building (building 3). “At least we know where you get it from.”

“I resent that comment! I’m perfectly sane!” Eddie said playfully. He took a playful swipe at Josh who ducked as they waited out side of the forges with the rest of the class.

“Tell you one thing, I’d rather be with this new teacher than back there with mister bloody thirsty himself.” Joked Eddie; indicating Ox.

“That’s what you say now, but not later.” Susana said.

“What do you mean?” Asked John looking at Eddie.

“The teacher for this class is the old royal blacksmith of Icedell.” She whispered intently. Princess Amy and Eddie nodded in understanding, but John and Josh stared at him blankly.

“Bout thirty years ago the royal blacksmith was sent to the wall at the top of the Icedale Mountains that protect us from the monsters in the Devil forest.” Eddie began to explain.

“They were attacked by ogres, giants and some say a dragon.” Continued Amy. Many people were now listening in.

“Everyone was slaughtered except for the blacksmith. When interrogated he said that he saw a female elf collapse on the other side of the wall. He swore that he went over to the elf to help her and she begged him to carry her into a hollow in a dead tree near by.

So he did so as the battle started. Being on the other side of the wall, by the time he got to his side the battle was over and everyone dead. Out of rage or sorrow at the death of his comrades he took up his welding hammer and smashed in the heads of every living creature that came into contact with it.

He defended the wall all by himself for two days. By the time reinforcements came he was insane for sure. When people asked about the elf he said she was dead and that he buried her in the tree, but when others went to investigate there was no body.

Just some rags and his sword to mark the pile of dirt were there. He went back to working at the palace as the royal blacksmith, but to this day he swore he saw an elf. The truth is...”

“There was an elf and anyone who says otherwise in my class will be kicked out and failed in the name of Archie Rocksmith. I don’t want to hear any jokes about my last name being Rocksmith with my profession being a blacksmith you hear me!” Shouted an old, insane, rough as sandpaper voice.