Chapter 5: Blackmail on the First Day of School

Jane heard footsteps and a door closing as she lay comfortably in her bed under the covers. She heard a woman’s voice whispering quietly. Why would Granny bring someone up here? She could just call for her?

Then Jane remembered the prince and William kidnapping her at the flower shop. Jane sat up looking around. She was in a four-poster bed with the drapes closed. She ripped open the drapes to her right only to find the bed snug against the wall. If she were to escape she would have to go towards the whispered voices.

She slowly peeked out the other drapes to see what was out there. It was a large room with another four-poster bed across from hers. The door was to the end of the bed so that if the drapes were open she could see who enters and leaves.

There was a desk at the end of her bed and the one cross from hers too. To the right at the head of her bed was a small side table identical to the one across the room. At the far end was an open window seat over looking a lake, but that was all she could see.

It gave her an estimate that they were on the third maybe fourth floor of a building. Across the lake was some forest. She was only one besides the woman she heard earlier in the room she could see. The woman in question was a nurse and she was heading for the bed she was in.

Jane laid back down facing the wall and slowed her breathing. When the nurse opened the drapes to check on her she waited for her to conclude she was asleep.

“What did you drug this poor lad with? Honestly, when he wakes, he’ll skin the first person he see’s. I can tell you that without giving him a physical,” said the nurse in a disapproving tone. Jane waited for the nurse to have her back to her before leaping out of bed, scaring the nurse to death.

Ignoring the screaming nurse who fell to the floor in shock Jane headed for the window. If she just made it to the forest on the other side of the lake she would be home free. Before she jumped through the opened window a hand grabbed her around the color of her shirt and threw her back into the room.

“Now that’s no way to treat a lady John. First you scare her to death by knocking her to the ground, then attempt suicide by jumping out the window. Thanks for preventing him from jumping Samuel.” The prince said pompously entering the room.

William and two guards came with him. Not to Jane’s surprise the two she had beaten in the alley were the guards that escorted the prince and they had very colorful faces and one was harboring a broken arm.

The man the prince addressed as Samuel was the third man from the ally. To Jane’s satisfaction he was using crutches and also had some broken ribs that were bandage. Jane could see the bandages sticking out from under his shirt.

“Now John I know you are upset for being taken against your will, but you gave me no choice. I won’t let you turn down my offer.” Said William with a smug smile.

“See I was planning to kidnap you from the beginning without offering you a choice. But the I learned that William had offered for you to come and you turned him down. Not just him but ME. YOU TURNED ME DOWN! No one has ever turned me down!

Well that just gave me a better reason to kidnap you.” Said Eddie smiling. “By the way, why do you always hide your face? You could attract a lot of girls if you keep it off. You don’t have any scars, but if you did that’s an even better reason to not hide your face.”

Jane realized in horror that she was not wearing her turban as the prince pulled it out of a drawer in the side table across from her. Jane had short mousy brown hair that just covered her ears.

She only had a single bang that went down the right side of her face with four beads on it. The last bead was blue with a bloody fang still dripping with blood. The third was a purple bead with white waving lines that overlapped one another making no pattern. The second was a pure black bead. The top and first bead was green with a white pelican feeding a nest of hatchlings. Jane grabbed at the turban, that the prince pulled out of her reach teasingly.