Chapter 8: Not So Secret Pasts

“What a day....” Said Eddie collapsing onto his bed. The school day had ended and they had a little time before dinner started to rest in their rooms. “First this morning you wouldn’t eat with me so I basically skipped breakfast...for the first time in my life!” John (Jane) made no response to this comment as he placed his spike (quill?) next to the foot of his bed. He then walked over to the bathroom to wash his face.

“Then at lunch you nearly got killed by a crazy mole thing. We met the beautiful and wonderful Princess Amy...and her maid Susana. During our first class in the magic building the mole tried to impale you.”

Eddie looked over to see if he had gotten a reaction. Nothing, John just looked up at Eddie through the mirror with his faced soaked.

“Then we had class with Ox who by far is one of the coolest teachers. Him yelling at us saying ‘none of you girls are going to make it in my class if you think this is all fun and games. We’re at war with the devil’s forest everyday of your lives. Get out of my class if you’re unwilling to sweat, break a few bones, and even get maimed on a daily basis. The lovely cowards will escort you out of here...NOW, since they’re as girly as you. Now who’ll remain and become the best Magic Guards in Faylea,” Eddie mimicked Ox’s voice.

“No wonder no one left. The girls who signed up for his class knew what they were getting themselves into and no man would stand the insult. Herbology was ok with professor Luckinbill, but that professor Silva was just hot.

If looks could kill then instead of teaching us about poisons and antidotes she would be in our poisons and antidotes textbook. Now if she wants to pass me a love potion in her class I won’t object.”

Nothing, John just continued to wash his hands and face. “...And now you are going to war with a crazy rat queen from the devil forrest.” John looked up at Eddie through the mirror, face wet, but uncaring.

“Why do you always have that mask on your face? You never show any expression and you don’t share your opinion. It’s like you're scared to show how you feel or what you think to anybody. Open up a little John.”

John walked over drying his face and sat at his desk, pulling out his notes from classes. “Tomorrow we have to go to the forges instead of herbology. I wonder what class will be like? Do you have a favorite class yet? I do not.”

“What?” Asked Eddie confused.

“You wanted me to ‘open up’ so I told you my opinion. I have no class I like and wonder what working in the forges will be like.”

“That’s not what I mean!” Eddie sighed, walking over and sitting on John’s desk. “Why don’t you tell me something about you. You share a secret with me I share one with you.”

“Now why would I want to share a secret with you?” Asked John looking into Eddie’s eyes. Their green shield was swirling underneath.

Emotions trying to rise to the surface as water from an underwater spring, but blocked by pure will to stay hidden, unattached, hiding the warmth underneath. The buried treasure imprisoned in the depths of the earth.

What could have possibly happened to suppress him so? How far would one have to dig to find the hidden treasure beneath? Eddie shook his head to clear it.

“If I tell you a secret about me you have to share one with me. You’ll do it because we’re best friends. We can tell each other anything and know that the other will never betray us. I promise I’ll never betray you.” Eddie said.

It was so casually, but John’s masked seemed to crack. His eyes told it all. Someone had betrayed him, and a great loss had occurred, building up John’s defenses. Now he was considering letting that wall fall down, to let Eddie in. Looking into his eyes, Eddie hoped he could see the seriousness of his commitment.