Chapter 7: Mothers of the Arena

As lunch ended the group went back to their rooms to get their things. Eddie came back almost skipping with joy after talking to Amy privately before they went to get their things. “We have Creatures (friend or foe) with the ladies next. When I mean ladies, I mean the most beautiful princess Amy...and her maid Susana.”

“You have Creatures (friend or foe) fifth period too?” Asked Josh shocked.

“Yes, all first years have class together. There are no combination classes, unless you get held back a grade I mean; then you’ll have a combination class.”

“I know that, but I thought you were like second years at least. How old are anyway?” Asked Josh outside his room. It turned out his room was across the hall from them.

“Susana’s 17, because I won’t have my lady in waiting/ best friend be an old lady.” Amy said matter-a-fact-lee as they joined them. “What about you Eddie?”

“Well I could be a second year if I wanted to. I didn’t make the cut though. I turned 17 on the first day of last month.” Eddie shouted across the hall.

“Missed the cut of for second years by a day. Princess Amy was born two week after me, so she’s 17 too. Well if you didn’t figure it out by the week’s worth of parties throughout the kingdom of Icedell. No idea how old John is though.” He continued, as they left for class together.

“I’m 17.” Said Jane outside the third building. “I turned 17 the same week as Amy. Now why don’t Princess Amy and Miss Susana go join the rest of the girl crowding around the unicorn?”

It was true. When they entered the stadium there was a paddock in half of the arena and in that paddock was a small herd of unicorns. The other half was for weapons practice.

The unicorns were a multitude of colors. Leafy greens from meadows untouched by man. Blues purer than the warm, crystal clear, ocean waters on a clear day. Black, darker than night itself and white so blinding it made snow look tinted.

The Unicorn’s, horns matched the color of their coat, but some of the foals were too young and their horns were not grown in. They shifted nervously as the girls crowded around the gate. A woman was standing among them; soothing them of their worries.

“Hello students my name is Ms. Sophia. Everyone calls my Sophia so don’t bother learning my last name. Please get in the stands nearest to the paddock, but do not remain in the arena.

My husband will be using the rest of the arena for training with students during this time. We wouldn’t want to send any unnecessary students to the infirmary now would we?” She smiled at them in a soft soothing voice.

She had the natural air of one at peace with nature. Her clothes clearly expressed that. She wore a simple, short sleeved, blue dress with no designs on it. There was dirt, grass stains, leaves and some watermarks on her dress from her time with animals. Here long black hair was in a single braid that went down her back, barely touching the floor. Her orange eyes shined like a cats even in the bright lights of the arena. “I thought I told you that if you entered the arena again, I would feed you to the beasts alive!” Shouted Ox, who had just entered the arena, followed by some third or fourth years. They were all equipped with an assortment of weapons and armor.

Ox was the only one carrying a double-headed ax and no armor. He marched over to Amy, Eddie, Josh and Susan, waving his ax as he went. “Didn’t I warn you....”

“Octavos! Stop threatening my first years! Look you’ve scared the unicorns with your shouting. If you weren’t my husband I would have feed you to the ‘beasts’ as you so elegantly put it myself.