-Chapter 1: Only a Man Disguised-

@Copyright all rights reserved 2013

-Written By: LovableMonster-

-Chapter 1: Only A Man Disguised-

I wake up, sitting up straight in an unfamiliar bed. I jump out of the bed, trying not to make any noise as I do so. Why am I here? What is this place? I ask myself, looking for an exit.

As I glance around, I realize that I'm in a strange bedroom. There's aging brick walls all around me. A large mirror sits in a corner, showing my reflection. I look away, noticing a beautifully carved dresser on the opposing wall. A glass chandelier hangs above me, but no light comes from it. I've never been in such a fancy room, it is so distant and strange to me. There's not a window in here, but there has to be a door...

That's when I see a dress, hanging from a wooden peg on the right wall with its beautiful red bodice and black skirt. I consider changing out of my dirty nightgown, but decide that I won't until I know where I am, and who has brought me here. I turn away, glancing at the mirror once more. Horror floods from the glass to my eyes, showing me things I don't want to see.

Behind it sits a dark green door, and I push the mirror aside, turning the knob. The door is locked, to my disbelief. I grow scared as I hear a voice. The voice is beyond the mirror, and the door hidden behind it.

"Jessalyn, if you wanted out, all you had to do was ask."

The voice belonged to a man, of that I was certain. The door flies open and I take a step back, unsure of what to expect. Unprepared for what was to come.

Carefully, I take a few steps forward until I'm in the next room. Large statues of stone, mostly angels and devils, stand grandly before the paintings hung on ornate walls. The room is much grander than the one I was laying in, but they are both so beautiful. Only someone rich and artistic could own such a place, decorated in such delicate artwork. I've only ever heard of rooms like these in books...

However beautiful the sudden rush of art is, I notice the room's furniture. An oak wood desk sits in a corner, musical instruments and art work surrounding it. A furry couch, a purple love seat, and wooden dining table make up the other three corners of the room, and each are beautiful and delicate pieces of art. I've always enjoyed beautiful things, they remind me that there is still beauty in the world. They help me forget all that I have been through, little by little.

Initially, I am too caught up in the beauty of everything to feel the arm that wraps around my waist, or the warm breath that cascades down my neck. When I do, I stiffen. The arm is not painful, only gentle. It is strong, but it doesn't dig into my skin or pinch me. I don't turn around at first, scared of who it could be.

"Oh, sweet Jessalyn, at last I have found you and you can free me from my torture, as I will free you from your pain," a man says, in a soft liquid voice. He moans in my ear and I cringe, closing my eyes.

I jerk around and come face-to-face with a man wrapped in a pristine white cloak. He wears a hood, black pants, and boots. I cannot trust this man, I know that much already. People who hide have dark pasts, I would know. I've been hiding behind the walls of my grandparent's house for most of my life.

My breath comes in sharp gasps as I remember that night long ago because there is a slight possibility of who this man could be, a slight one. My heart begins to race. Is this my knight? I think back to the night when my knight saved me. I hadn't managed to see his face.

When I was little, around the age of twelve, I heard about a glorious circus. My whole class was going to it, even my childhood sweetheart, Anthony Chellie. I was young and foolish, and I obeyed him like a slave would. Love can make me so foolish. I had wanted to see the elephants and the acrobats for a quick second, so I hurried out of the sleeping house and went to meet Anthony. He was such a sweet, innocent boy. How could I have been so wrong? As I made my way to the circus, he grabbed me, dragging me to the shore. I tried to scream and kick but it was useless, he wouldn't let go and I was forced to place my head underwater. He started to drown me, though I didn't give in and he pulled out matches instead. He lit them as if he'd done it a thousand times before.