The Nanny Job Ch.12

When Felix dropped me off, he wanted to meet my 'family', but I made up some stupid excuse like they were sick or something, I knew he didn't believe me, but hey there was no 'family' too meet.

The person in charge of the orphanage was a woman that I had contacted, she said there was a room available, that I could have for the week. I walked up to the stairs and knocked on the door, the place didn't look half bad, she had said there was 30 children that lived here.

When the door opened and the lady in charge, Cindy had greeted me and showed me to my room, "I'm so glad you could make it, we really could use your help around here Abby, also the children will be excited to meet you. Once you are all settled please come to my office so that we can talk. If that's fine with you?" she said, "Of course, I can't wait." I say, when she left I couldn't help but sigh in a bit disappointment, when I set all my things away, I went to her office, where she briefed me on everything, she gave me a map too.

It was already late and I had seen many of children running back and forth, I had also met all the of the other workers, they were very kind and welcoming. There was 15 girls and 15 boys their age range went to 2 years to 15 years, the boys and the girls were separated, but at meals and play time they got to hang out. All of them were surprisingly well behaved and they were happy. I was assigned to help the girls and help in the kitchen.

At dinner time there was a very big cafeteria room and all the children helped set the tables. I had helped the cooks earlier but they said they didn't need much help. After dinner in was so neat to see the boys get the girls plates and the girls would acknowledged them. Even one of the boys took my plates and he was only 5 years old. I think I'm really going to enjoy my this place.

I've only been here a few days and I already have bonded with most of the children, I'm thinking about getting them some early Christmas Presents, I had asked Cindy earlier if I could go shopping and she said I could as long as I bought some groceries. 

I was out shopping for about 4 hours, I got them all their presents and I got the groceries. When I got to the orphanage all the children helped carry in the bags. I had told them not to peak in any of the bags. I brought up all the things I had bought and the cooks were very glad to see the fridge full again. It was almost dinner time and I was almost all done wrapping all their presents. Half of the girls and boys love books, but some of them are more artistic, I had bought a bunch of things for them. 

At dinner we had a great time, I had bought the cooks specific ingredients because I had wanted them to make something amazing and they had made it perfectly.

 Before I went to bed, someone had knocked on my door I had opened it, to see one of the little girls that I had sat with at her table I think her name was Ziva, she was holding her blanket close to her chest and it looked like she was crying. I walked towards her and smiled softly, "Hey, watcha doing up so late? Are you ok Ziva?" I ask, she shakes her head and runs towards me I caught her and she started crying uncontrollably, Cindy said that she hardly speaks and she's only 5 years old. She fell asleep in my arms and so I went to bed with her in my arms, she snuggled closer to me as I fell asleep.  

I woke up to someone playing with my hair not that I minded, I opened my eyes to come face to face with Ziva, she gave me a shy smile and kept on playing with my hair I smiled back. I looked at the time and it was 7:00am, "Ziva you have to go back to your room, before someone thinks you are missing, ok?" I say, she nodded left. I got myself ready and when I got onto my hair, it was a tangled mess. After I was all done I had helped out in the kitchen. 

Ziva has become quite clinging not that I'm complaining, she also has been talking a lot more since that night, and I found out why she had came that night, she said that she had a 'scary dream' and no one else was awake. She was following me around this whole morning before she had to go and do her lesson. Around lunch time is when there are no children around, their all doing school or something or the other. One of the workers had come by and told me that Cindy had asked for me to come by her office. So I walked to her office, I was about to knock on the door when I heard a familiar voice, I heard them talking and I then noticed it was Felix's voice.

I couldn't just run away, so I knocked, when I knocked Cindy had welcomed me in and I saw Felix in one of the chairs right in front of her desk. "Hi Cindy, you didn't tell me you had a visitor...." I say in a quiet tone, "Oh nonsense, the 'visitor' is for you dear." she says loud enough for Felix to hear, she already knew what she was doing and she didn't even try to hide her smirk. Felix turned and looked at me with a look I couldn't read.

Felix had taken me out for coffee and said we had to have a 'little talk'. So here he was driving to Starbucks, I was dragged to the car against my will, he had threatened to tell Joy where I was so here I am, "You know you could have just told me or us, that you were going to the orphanage instead of lying...." Felix said, which made me feel really bad, "I'm really sorry, I just didn't, I don't even know, I just, ugh, they kinda are my family, I've grown bonds with them...... Ok you're right I shouldn't have lied. I'm sorry." I say hanging my head in shame, "Hey we're here, let's talk inside." Felix said lightly.

We got our coffee and he talked about how Joy was freaking out about the whole party, he said she wanted 'everything to be perfect', it sounded like her. "So how was your week Abby?" he asked, he had ignored that I had lied or maybe he had forgiven me, I smiled he was my very first true best frie- "Abby? Why do you have a creepy smile?" he said waving his hand in my face, snapping me out of my thoughts, I shook my head but I couldn't stop smiling, "Uhm my week was great, the children are wonderful and I got them each an early Christmas present, I think they'll love it, I mean I hope they do." I say thinking about all the things I had wrapped.

When we were done we left, "Abby I can tell you love children so much, but why did you lie? To me?" he asked, I sighed I already knew he was going to ask that, "Well to be honest, I felt like I was going to be extra baggage, I didn't want to be the sore thumb, I wanted you all to have a good time." I said truthfully, Felix laughed he actually laughed, "Abby you know you're really stupid, you're practically family, all you do is help, even Finn and Joy would agree, anyone that would work with you can tell that you have an amazing heart. You're always looking out for us, instead of yourself, I don't think you give yourself enough credit. I'm not even mad at you, I never was." when Felix said that we had arrived at the orphanage he opened my door and I hugged him tightly, I felt some tears escape my eyes, after that I couldn't stop them, Felix hugged me tighter and we stayed like that.

When Felix was about to leave, I remembered what I was going to tell him I knocked on him window and when it went down I smiled and said "Felix thank you so much, you know you're my very first real best friend and I'm really glad that you are." I say gratefully. He got out of his car again and hugged me and said "I'm glad about that too."