*30* Escaping The Void

I happily prance to my dorm room with my bag and enter to see Lele sitting on her bed, pouting. I close the door and put my bag on my own bed; a twin bed. Hard to get use to when you are used to sleeping on a queen. It's been a very long time since I have slept on a twin bed, though.

"What's wrong, Lele?" I ask walking slowly to her.

"My brother isn't coming to visit me. My own counselor told me after my therapy session." Lele says near tears.

"Dang, I am sorry, Lele."

"He is the only one who actually gives a damn about me." She shouts causing a nurse to burst into our room, to only see Lele sitting on her bed and me standing a few feet away.

"No touching." The nurse warns.

"Man," Lele starts, "wasn't no one touching no one.Get the fuck outta here, bitch!"

Sadly, the nurse does as she is told and leaves, closing the door. I stand there wondering who is mostly in charge at this place. The teens or the staff? I look at the time clock on the wall; a very simple black and white clock, then at my schedule.

"I have got Art Class in a few minutes," I say.

That perks Lele up. "How did you manage to get Mr. Spaggiari's class? So early at that?" She stands by me to get a good look at my schedule. I think she is trying to see if I am lying.

"He wanted me to be in his class."

"Whoa, whoa. Wait," she steps back from me. "You're telling me that he actually recommended you?"

"Uh, yeah. Why? Is that a bad thing?" I wouldn't think so in this case.

"Getting into his art therapy ain't no joke, Allyira. You have to have some really extraordinary talent to get in there."

"I guess I do. Because when I was touring around here, I stumbled onto his classroom and he had me draw something in like five minutes. So, I did." I shrug walking to the door. "He liked it enough to have me in his art class."

"Knowing him, he probably made your doctor call the school and ask them for a copy of your artwork." She teases me.

We walk out of the dorm room together; chuckling. I wouldn't bet on that.

I find Mr. Spaggiari's classroom and it seems as though no one else is in the room right now except three other students and Mr. Spaggiari is nowhere to be found. I sit in the front next to a teenage boy.

"Allyira?" he asks me.

"Yes?" I turn to him.

"It's me, Shakur. Shy." he re-introduces himself.

I smile delighted, "Oh, I remember."

"You decided to stay stay?" He asks.

"Yeah." I say knowing it's a lie and I am here against my will. Well, at first.

"How is it going for you so far?" He says with a cut but crooked smile.

"Good so far. Rooming with Lele Foster."

"Oh." The expression changes to surprise. "She's a hard cookie to deal with. She rarely says anything to anyone, but she gets into so much trouble." She shakes his head.

I watch him then answer, "She speaks to me, a lot. Maybe she just needs a decent friend that won't stab her in the back." I inform him.

"Yeah, I supposed so. She's been here the longest." Shy tells me.