*16* Of Course, No Remorse

I went back to school the next day, I did not want to stay in the house alone with my mother. She was in another one of her drunken fits about me running up the hospital bill and pretending to faint. I had to hear it all night because she was yelling at me through my bedroom door. At some point in the wee hours of the morning, she quit and finally went to bed.

In school, everyone is asking me how I am doing or if I am okay. I don't like this kind of attention, I rather be seen, not heard. But, since my friends have ran their mouths to half the school, I am the center fo attention. Not cool. During lunch, everything before that, those classes are boring. At lunch, I am sitting at the lunch table in the middle of the lunchroom with my head in a book that I got on the way home from the hospital. I look up to see Noemi and her new boyfriend walking towards me with a depressed looking Jazmyn ambling behind them. They sit with me.

"Glad to see you are out." Noemi smiles.

"Glad to be out," I say picking at the pages of the book, ready to turn them and continue reading.

"Cool sleeves." Noemi's boyfriend points out.

I twist my arms a bit. "Thanks. I would have liked them in a different color but, it's all good." I put my arms down.

Noemi rolls her eyes at her boyfriend, then looks at me. "So, are you still coming to the party?"

What is with this girl and this party business? "I am not sure now. The doctor said I should take it easy for a while." I hadn't even been out of the hospital 24 hours and she is already asking if I am still coming. Hmmph, inconsiderate bitch.

Noemi pouts and her boyfriend consoles her. "Don't worry, baby. There will be others there."

I raise my eyebrows. Noemi smiles at him, "Yeah, but I want my best friends there. It's not going to be the same without them." She sighs.

I am starting to notice that Noemi acts just like my mother when she wants to do something with my father, she too pouts and lowers her tone of voice into manipulation.

Noemi has a way of getting what she wants and whatever she has to do to get it, she'll do it. I want to say, she'll manipulate people, but I feel it's too harsh of a word.

"Well, it will be okay if you can't come." Noemi grins.

No, it won't be okay if I don't come. I know her. If I don't come, I know she won't ever talk to me again, which is really fine with me.

"But, I would like you to come."

I nod still fingering the page of the book, so ready to turn that page.

"Okay. I am hungry. Come on, Nico." They get up and go to the lunch line, leaving Jazmyn with me.

"What's wrong?" I ask her remembering our talk.

Jazmyn had come over last night and continued to rant and rave about Noemi and her horrible behavior. All I could do was listen to her because what she was saying I already knew. Also, Noemi's attitude is what made her lose a lot of friends and gain a lot of enemies. However, I did not want to agree or disagree with what Jazmyn was saying because I suspected she'd go back and tell Noemi what I had said.

 Even though I and Noemi already have had our little tiffs with each other and about each other, that still wouldn't stop her from being mean. Noemi even tried to fight me that day and I beat her ass. Tried to fight me over a shirt or some bullshit, I told her that I was in a bad mood and I tried to walk away. But, when she stuck me in my face, I jumped on her. Jazmyn probably needs to do the same, but Jazmyn quit fighting a while ago.

"I told Noemi about herself and now she's not talking to me. I told her earlier this morning when we were standing in the common's area." She confesses silently.

My eyes widen and my hand covers my mouth. "Why? What'd she say?"

"She told me I am her personal assistant and I lashed out at her," Jazmyn tells me. "She said, I was just letting off some steam and that I needed some time to think. A timeout as if I am some child." Jazmyn rages a little.

I am not even in the drama and I am already sick of it. "So, if you are so sick and tired of the way she treats you. Then why are you still her friend?"

"I already told you."

"Refresh my memory, please."

"She did so much for me when she and my brother was dating and I feel like I owe her something." She recounts.

"Oh, right," I remember now. "But, having her walk all over you is different. Can't be nice to everyone, Jaz."

She nods. "I know this. But, it's worth a try, you know."

I understood what she is saying. I used to be the same way, nice and kind to everyone but that ended horribly one night. Never again will I be nice to everyone especially someone who definitely does not deserve it.