*3* Design Of Remorse

As I and my brother are finishing up the last of my homework, we are called to dinner. We set the things to the side and we playfully race down the stairs and get I'm our seats at the elongated table.

Our parents are sitting at the table already and last comes our sister hobbling and sits at the table with a tired grunt. Our server Mrs. Block serves us the food, and pours our parents some wine and for us either water or sweet tea. I pick water. Mother looks really tired and run down, she picks the wine glass and begins to drink it. Father takes the glass from her and orders Mrs. Block to get her a water instead. Mrs. Block does as she is told. Mother pouts angrily. My sister, Caroline picks over her food and rubs her growing belly.

Mrs. Block got hired as a nanny for I and Caroline, by that time, Bradly was already in college. Mrs. Block began living a the house due to too high of rent where she was living, and no other jobs in her field around town.

"Ugh, eight months, I am ready to have this baby." Caroline whines dropping her fork on the plate causing it to clatter loudly making mother jump frantically.

"Shouldn't have cocked up in the first place." Bradly Sasses Caroline, jokingly.

Caroline rolls her eyes at Bradly and smirks, "It was a one time thing, Bradly."

"Doubt that." He teases with a smile on his own face.

Caroline's mouth gapes open, "Mom!"

Mother rubs her temples, "Bradly, don't do that. Leave your sister alone."

"I'm just telling the truth. But fine." He says wildly chewing the steak Mrs. Block made for him.

Caroline sticks her tongue out at Bradly, Bradly turns his nose up at Caroline, and all I could do was smile at the two.

I want so badly to confront my mother about her missing to pick me up again. However, I don't think it would be a good idea considering she has been drinking all day and is aggravated.

"What Allyira?" Mother questions trying to keep her voice down.

"Huh? Nothing." I had realized that I had staring at her. I begin to pick at my food, a salad.

"It's something. You were staring really damn hard at me. So, what is it?" She begins to badger me.

"It's nothing." I assure her and try to eat my salad. I don't want to have any kind of confrontation with my mother, not at all.

"Psh, whatever Allyira." She sasses me.

I swear she could be just like a child sometimes and it can get very annoying.

"Ava, stop it." My father warns.

"What? She is obviously sulking over something." She continues, "I want to know what it is. But, she thinks she is too good to talk to me anymore."

I sigh and push my plate away from me, no longer hungry, even though my stomach says otherwise. "May I be excused?" I ask.

My father nods, however my mother says, "No, Maurice. She needs to tell me. So, tell me what is wrong, Allyira?"

"Ava,

I ignore my mother and rush to my room with tears streaming down my cheeks. On my way to my room, I heard my brother excuse himself as well. Now, Caroline is left with our parents.