The Barbecue

*(Lyra) 

As the guests started to arrive, I realized that we had no where near enough food. Luckily, the packs omega, Sean, brought a truck full of food. 

"Better safe than sorry." Had been his response when she had inquired as to why he had done so. He had then sulked away and stood quietly, only speaking when spoken to. 

"Hey beautiful." Venn said as his arms wrapped around me, sending the familiar shocks through my body. 

"Shouldn't you be getting to know everyone?" 

"I'm getting to know you." He replied smartly. A couple of my pack chuckled at his wit. I guess thats a good sign. He pulled me up to his chest, pressing us together with an undying sense of security. I saw a couple pack members glaring at Venn, whispering amongst themselves. Without realizing it, I stared with the intent to kill, and noticing me, they cringed their faces in disgust. It was Venn's turn to glare. His eyes darkened, and his gaze gave of a deadly aura saying, 'come on, just give me a reason to kill you.' It frightened even me. I noticed the whole room had gone quiet, and prayed Venn didn't do anything to rash.  

"Is there something you'd like to say to me? I really would like to prove to you that I have good intentions, but that will be hard to do when you glare at Lyra like that." 

I should have been upset, but I was happy he was defending me. 

"As a matter of fact, yes. I would like to say that I have seen many a wolf slain by your kind, and wish you to disappear, just like the rest of you damn humans." 

Uh oh. This was Clarisse. Her ability to get under peoples skin was known throughout the pack. And she was testing him. 

Venn started to shake uncontrollably. A few of them got ready to fight, and then Venn fell onto the floor, laughing. We all gaped, even Clarisse. Such a taunt would have caused everyone I knew to try to rip that bitches throat out. Well not Venn. 

He got up wiping the tears from his eyes. 

"Are you a medic?" He asked barely containing his laughter. 

"Yes!" She replied hotly. 

He laughed for a good thirty seconds after that, and some of the pack looked angered at Venn's apparent disrespect to the deceased, werewolf or not. 

At that point he did something rash. 

He walked over, and slapped her across the face, not hard enough to hurt her, but it still got her attention. I was shocked, new to this look of total fury in his eyes. Oh shit. Many of the pack had started to shift to kill my mate. Then Venn started to yell. 

"HOW DARE YOU!? Disrespecting me, thats one thing. But disrespecting those who died creating what YOU use to save the lives of your own comrades?!" Everyone had stopped. This was turning out to be a moral lesson, of which Clarisse desperately needed many. Venn continued.  

"Humans may kill many werewolves, hundreds, maybe even thousands. But the medicine we have created has saved more lives of every race than you could possibly count! By disrespecting their existence, not only have you disrespected me, but you have disrespected all living creatures! Not to mention yourself! What medic does not realize the value of the tools given to them? The gauze, stitches, and anesthetics are all made by humans!" 

He then turned to the bulk of the pack.  

"How many of you have been saved by medical techniques that would be impossible without humans?" Venn was still very loud. But not quite screaming. Slowly, one of the elders raised his hand. Slowly, one by one, almost the whole pack raised their hands. 

He turned back to Clarisse.  

"Now do you understand the meaning of your own words?" 

She was crying. 

"I'm so sorry!" 

The whole pack was beyond shocked. Clarisse had apologized. Clarisse had never taken back what she said, much less apologized.  

"That doesn't change the fact that you said it." Venn replied sternly. 

"How do I make it up to them?" 

She was referring to the deceased, as we all knew she was very religious. 

"You can't reverse the past, but ehat you can do is change the present. 

Use what you have learned to save any lives in need of aid, regardless of species, pack, or personal dislike. That is how you may atone to them for what you have said." Venn had a welcoming gaze, and she looked up at him and said two words that no one had ever thought were even in her vocabulary. "Thank you." 

"Your welcome." 

He then turned to me. 

"I hate doing that." He said to me in the dead silence. Emillee started to laugh. She ran up and tackled Venn and I. Everyone laughed at that, and all the previous tension was lost. Suddenly a pounding sound came from the door, and when it was opened Brian barged through, looking very flushed. 

"I need to talk with Venn. Now."

//Come on guys, I know your reading this. Just vote up once. Thats all Im asking. Even though you can vote up every chapter, Ill only ask for one for now.~Eterne