The Pup

*(Lyra) 

As we pulled into the driveway of our destination, I unbuckled and jumped on top of Venn. I felt sparks shiver up my body and through my spine. He unbuckled an hauled me out of the car, still clinging to him. Emillee came over and coaxed us over to the door. Venn rang the bell, and I quickly tried to make myself look presentable. The door was opened by a muscular man, mid-thirties, and his wife, looking to be around late twenties. 

"Are you the man who saved Jonah?" 

Venn laughed. 

"I was wondering where that pup had scampered off to!" 

They beamed as a young child, maybe five, ran down the stairs and gasped. 

"Mommy look! Theres the nice man who gave me the good meat!" 

We all laughed at that, and the child beamed, knowing that he had done something that made him the center of attention. 

"Yes, that was called elk." Venn said to Jonah in between laughs. 

"I like elk!" That brought a renewed round of laughs until Jonah sat down next to his mom, trying to do what we were doing. 

"We would like to thank you for bringing Jonah back. We would have been devastated if he had gotten himself hurt." The father said  

"I really should be thanking Jonah!" 

They both looked confused. 

"And why is that?" The mother asked curiously. 

"Well as it turns out, Lyra here is my-" I covered his mouth before he said anything more. 

"Childhood friend!" I said quickly. 

Emillee rolled her eyes. 

"She's his mate." 

The parents looked shocked, and then they got grins from ear to ear. 

"Why did you not want them to know?" Venn asked  

"Because your a hunter dearie!" The mother responded, still grinning like she had won the lottery. I however, had my mouth wide open. They had let Venn into their home willingly, knowing he was a hunter?!  

Emillee must have seen my expression, because she quickly explained, "Most of the pack knows about 'some hunter who brought back a pup'. They thought he was being treated for his injuries as a way to repay the favor." 

"In my house?" I asked incredulously. 

Emillee shrugged.  

"Weirder things have happened before." 

I sighed. Everyone knew about Venn. 

I guess this meant doing things the old fashion way. It was time for another fucking goddamn barbecue.