To Be Beautiful Like Them

This is a short story i wrote, the topic was to describe a dress. So i hope you all like it! :D It's fairly short, but i hope you all vote for it nonetheless!

happy reading!

Kat

_________________________________________________________

To Be Beautiful Like Them

I stood in front of the full body mirror and scowled. I've never been able to work a dress. With my lack of curves and wiry frame; dresses and Rebecca Douglas just never mixed. I had tried to work those off the shoulder dresses that flowed down to my mid-thigh, but the fact that my legs lacked any glow that would make any guy take a second look, made me take the dress off without hesitation.

I've tried other styles of dresses from strapless to spaghetti straps, but they all either made me look like a twig or better yet, a pencil with ears. Why couldn't I have the right body type for a dress? One that can make any dress look like a million dollars. Instead, I was cursed with my flat body that could easily be mistaken as a boy’s body, and believe me, I have been mistaken as one. Several times.

When that thought crossed my mind, a new idea popped into my head.

I bolted from the mirror and made my way to my twin brothers closet. I scanned through all his clothes and stopped when I reached all his formal wear. I picked out a plain black jacket and slipped it off the hanger. Before leaving the room, I grabbed a long silk red tie from his tie wheel.

Justin wouldn't mind if I used these, I thought as I ran out of his room. Before returning to my room, I stopped by the supply closet and picked up my sewing machine and several other materials that I would need to make this happen.

Once I had everything I needed, I made my way to my room and dumped everything onto my desk. I knew I would have to do this quick since the dance was in about six hours, but that didn't scare me. I have taken all the fashion classes as school, and was currently making all the theatre costumes. So I guess you could say that I have experience with a needle and thread.

***

About four hours and three needle pricks later, I held up my dress in triumph. This dress was my own creation and I honestly didn't care what it looked like on me; all I knew was that I was proud of it and I wouldn't care what anyone says about my wiry frame and pencil legs. Even if my body couldn't fill up this dress like any normal girl in this world could.

The dress was in one word; perfect. With that thought, I slipped on the dress without a second thought.

It was in fact made from my brother’s suit, with the addition of my black frilly dress that I had lying around and a white button-up. I altered the suit to fit me in a comfortable way. I cut the jacket at the waist and stitched my black skirt to it, making it look like a dress. I cut the sleeves of the jacket right before it reached the neck, exposing a good amount of my shoulder. The bright red tie was tied around my neck and tucked neatly into the jacket. The black, frilly skirt stopped right above my knee so it only showed off my thin calves.

No dress has ever made me look like this. It was astonishing how I had the power to make me a dress that actually flattered me. It didn't make me look too thin; it didn't make me feel like a loser; it didn't make me second guess my choice of clothing.

And most of all, it made me feel beautiful for the first time in my life.