Chapter 25

Summary: Sophia has been taken away from her kidnappers and now lives with Cassandra as she needs a little space away from Demetrius. At the moment she is in a very dark place and is about to receive some news from Cassandra.

"I'm still in shock. Demetrius was a good friend to the family, I'm still trying to get my head around this whole story." I nodded passively at the woman in front me, I really didn't want to think about Demetrius while my turn to speak was in less than two minutes. It was overwhelming, the thought of never seeing someone so close to you ever again.

"Next, a word from his daughter, Sophia." Adjusting my black satin dress I forced my legs to move forward to where my Aunt Veronica stood, her red eyes stared sorrowful at me.

"Thank you Aunty." Instinctively we pulled each other into a comforting embrace, it seemed natural to hug each other as if we never wanted to let go, even though we haven't spoken in six years.

"My brother will forever live on in our hearts." She smiled tearfully at me, I didn't have the strength to smile back, being surrounded by the people who abandoned my father when he needed them most was suffocating.

I squinted at the paper in front of me, the dancing puddle of black ink was confusing. My writing appeared foreign to me and I began to rethink my decision to say a few words.

Taking a deep breath I placed my shaking hands on the podium in front of me and I discarded the words I had spent all night trying to say.

It must have been the most stupid decision I have ever made, but I knew if I wanted to give a speech I wouldn't end up regretting, it had to be done.

I swallowed the huge lump on my throat and looked to Cassandra, I was well aware of her tear stricken eyes, but she wasn't crying for him, she was crying for me. I was glad someone was thinking of me, whether that made me selfish or not was another story.

"M-my father was like any other father." I began, the soreness at the back of my throat forcing me to carry on, reminding that I was really here. "Taught me how to ride a bike, threatened to castrate the boy who took me to prom if I was not home by eleven." I could hear their mournful laughters. "But things changed after my mum died, he let life slip straight through his fingers, a ticking time bomb was what I called him, waiting for the time until he finally exploded and when he did, honestly, I wasn't ready for what followed." I paused for a moment to catch my breath, it felt as if the air was running away, turning against me when I needed it most. "When I heard of my father's death, my first thought was, can I forgive him? Can I forgive him for doing this to me? And as I stand here looking at the picture perfect man holding his daughter protectively to his side. I don't know. I loved my father, a man loved by all but loathed by so many, how is it possible, to be both at once? I was clueless until I realised he was never coming back."

I flinched as the priest put a hand onto my shoulder, I didn't want to be touched by anyone. "Thank you for speaking." I simply nodded, turning away from him and running out of the hall. Space was all I needed, somewhere I could escape the world and everything that inhibits it.

Cassandra didn't follow me which I was glad for, she knw when I needed to be alone. Death is such a fickle thing in the minds of many, I should adapt stop overthinking, stop thinking of what could have been. After all, death is the key to heaven they all say.

I slummed onto an abandoned swing set, the muddy blue seat was he lost welcoming thing I had seen all day without hesitating I took a seat, gradually swinging my legs. I forgot what it was like to be on one, the smile it brought to children could almost be described as magical.

The steady movement provided a rush of wind, the ability to air out you thoughts, hoping somehow the winds would carry them to a listening ear.

I looked at my satin dress and snarled at the drip on liquid falling down it's delicate fabric. Tears were not thought of in my previous envisions of his day, I pictured myself alone and withdrawn from everything and everyone, but I did not dare imagine myself crying. He never did deserve to see me weep.

When the first tear fell immediately more followed until I was a blubbering mess, my hands wrapped tightly around the rusted chain as I bit back my scream of pain. It hurt, a whole damn lot and I couldn't do anything about it.

My eyes widened as I was pulled into a pair of, the warm body surrounded my own with warm and I could feel myself relaxing into the unknown embrace. I pulled, coming face to face with a pair of bright emerald eyes, I recognised those anywhere.

"Demetrius?" I whispered, my throat aching from all the crying I and done.

A small smile was confirmation enough.

I sprung out the swing, away from him, my eyes burned with rage as I took in his casual appearance. His usually intimidating figure and expensive suits ws now replaced with a much less noticeable look of jeans and a hoodie, his chestnut coloured hair was no longer slicked back with gel, it was unusual to see him so different. "What are you doing here?" I grit out my hands fisted to their side as I held back the urge to use the pepper spray Cassandra gave me.

He stood still, his hands held up in a surrendering stance. "Wait Sophia, I just want to talk."

"Talk? Don't even go there Demetrius, you have no idea what hell I'm going through right now and the last thing I need is you waltzing in asking to have a little chit chat." I turned away from him, there was only one place I could go to get away from such a persistent man like him.

"Sophia, please just here me out. I heard about your father and I'm sorry, I really am. Let me back in your life, I miss you so much that I'm driving myself crazy. I love you so much." I noticed the deep circles under his eyes and knew he probably hadn't slept for days but the last think I would do was pity him.

"Demetrius, just give me some space." I pleaded staring directly into his eyes, however my message still fell on deaf ears.

"I have been giving you space for the past two months. Sophia just talk to me." I wasn't expecting him to touch me, but when he did reflexes struck and I let loose the pepper spray, hitting him right in the face. I watched as he hunched over, grunting at the sting. It was an accident, it really was but the feel of his hands on me once again brought back memories, I needed to erase.

"Please Demetrius. Leave. Me. Alone." I didn't want to leave him alone but I knew if I stayed I wouldn't be able to trust myself to resist him.

Hey my little fuzzy buddys!

I am a fungus.
Yes, that's right.
I am a fungus.
Please feel free to call me anything else you wish.

I honestly don't have any reason for my long absence other than writer's block. Ideas and inspiration, where did you go?

Well finally I found them and I'm back, hopefully better than ever, but while I have been away, guess what I log on to find...

WE WON A WATTY AWARD!!!
EEK I DONT EVEN KNOW HOW TO EXPRESS HOW HAPPY I AM. WE DID IT!

And for that we all deserve a pat on the back.

So what did you think of this chapter, good? Bad? Let me know!

Until next time...

Janelle:)