Chapter 17

He is gone. I reread the note several times trying somehow to fathom the fact that his disappearance has not only put him but me in deep shit. I'm fucked.

Demetrius probably has a tail of about twenty or so men after him, all armed with massive guns and machetes, eager to kill.

"I can't believe this!" I shouted, crumpling the note and throwing it absentmindely onto the floor. I was too consumed in my own anger and sadness that I didn't even spare him a listening ear when he informed me about his departure.

Instead when I woke in the morning with a throbbing headache and puffy eyes, I was greeted with a bright yellow piece of paper that read:

Dear Sophia,

I know you are very angry with me right now and you have every right to be, but the thought of you hating me and possibly never speaking to me again makes me afraid because without you in my life, I don't know what I'd do.

I have decided to go to our second home in Rhodes for a while, I know you need time alone to think and I'm giving you that. I want you know Sophia that I love you, forever and always.

Demetrius.

That idiot. I thought spitefully. I knew I should have just told him everything from the start then none of this would have happened. You're right, it would have been worse. A voice in my head taunted, it was right. I did the right thing by not telling Demetrius, who knows what would have happened if I told him everything and Casper found out. I shuddered just thinking about it.

I could fix this, nothing has happened to him. Demetrius is perfectly fine.

Don't get me wrong, I am still very much angry at Demetrius but with three years of companionship hanging over my head, I couldn't just forget.

I would do everything within my power to save Demetrius and make sure he is safe but I wasn't so sure if at the end of it, I would want anything to do with him.

Taking out my phone I immediately dialled his number to warn him of the impending danger coming his way. I started to get even more worried when it went straight to voicemail.

Having no other choice, I phoned the police. "Police, what's the emergency?" A man spoke over the phone, it sounded oddly familiar but I paid no mind to that factor.

"It's my husband, he's in danger."

"What kind of danger Madam?"

"I think people are after his life. I have tried calling him but I keep getting his voicemail. I'm worried he might be hurt and I could never live with myself..." All the negative thoughts I had managed to ignore began to surface all at once. I couldn't finish my sentence, I burst into tears.

"Madam I am going to need you to calm down if we are gong to find your husband." I nodded even though he couldn't see me and wiped away my tears. "What is his name?" The man continued when he was sure I had calmed down.

"Demetrius Mavros." I answered as calmly as I could.

"Demetrius Mavros? CEO of Mavros Inc?" The man seemed overly interested in my husband's occupation but I answered anyway.

"Yes."

"And are you aware of his location at the moment?" Frowning, I found it strange at the sudden 360 in terms of attitude the man had through the phone.

"He is in Rhodes, we have a house there."

"Where in Rhodes is your husband?" Searching my brain for an address I came up empty. I can't believe I had forgotten the address for the house. However I had only been there once in two years, so I wasn't expecting to know the address of the top of my head.