Chapter 16

"Are you going to just stand there or are you going to give your old man a hug?" He questions taking a swig from the bottle.

I can't even look him the eyes. "I think I'll just stand."

He nods, excepting the fact that I will not go anywhere near him. I haven't been able to since mum died.

"Why are you here father?" I look away as he struggles to place the bottle safely on the table. When he finally does so, he staggers, causing the glass to shatter onto the floor. I cringe at the noise but remain silent.

"Why else would I be here? I came to see my beautiful daughter." He hiccups and comes towards me with outstretched arms, before I can stop him from coming any further, Demetrius' large frame creates a huge boarder between us.

"I don't think that's such a good idea, Mr. Baros." I let out a breath of air, grateful for his intervention, but his presence was only making father angrier.

"Ah, Demetrius Mavros, my daughter's husband. I've heard so much about you and frankly I haven't liked what I've heard. Looking at you now, I don't think I ever will, so if you don't want this shard of glass in your head, I suggest you get the fuck out of here." I wince at his use of language, ever since I was nine, my father has never felt the need to filter his mouth around me.

Watching with wide eyes as father shakily picks up a large chunk of glass from the floor, I quickly put myself between both men, stopping him from advancing any closer.

"Don't even think about." Staring him down, I relax when he drops the piece of glass. I'm not sure if he was too wasted to realise or he knew he would have to go through me, either way I was glad.

"Demetrius, I would like to be alone with my father please." I don't spare him a single glance as I watched my father's every move. The glare Demetrius was currently giving him did nothing to ease the tension surrounding the room.

"Sophia I don't think-"

"Leave."

With a heavy sigh I hear his footsteps as he leaves. Before going he whispers softly into my ear, "we need to talk." I don't reply. I have more important things to focus on at the moment.

When he closes the door behind him, I waste no time in asking questions. "So, why are you really here?"

"Trouble in paradise?" He raises an eyebrow, not even bothering to hide his excitement.

"That is none of your business."

"I'm your father Sophia of course it is my business."

I don't try to hide my scoff of disbelief. "Don't even try playing the father card with me. You stopped being my father when you made alcohol your main priority.

His red eyes showed lack of sleep and it seemed like he had been crying, but I didn't feel an ounce of sympathy for this man. "I know and I'm sorry Sophia, it's just your mother - I miss her so much."

They say the drunk mind speaks the sober heart and looking at my father right now, I could tell this was exactly what was happening.

I sighed, running a hand down my face. When mother died, we were both a mess. I began to hang around with the wrong crowd and my father turned to alcohol. It wasn't until I got arrested for shoplifting that I started to realise that this was not the person I wanted to be, that I wouldn't allow my mother's death to turn me into a shell of my former self, instead I would allow this loss to make me a better person, someone my mother would be proud of. I changed my life around, my father however, didn't.

"I miss her too and every night, I wish for nothing more than to wake and see her smiling down at me one more time." Wiping an escaped tear, I quickly compose myself.