Chapter 20

Long chapter guys I hope you likes it:)

Meanwhile, the journey back to Cair Paravel was particularly uneventful.
Lucy, however, was more than thankful that she was able to experience another sunrise in Narnia. As they came closer to the shore, the forest became thinned out and it was easy to see that as the night drew to a close, dawn had began to rise, and the sky began to glow bold bright colors. From a distance, it looked as if the clouds blended and mixed with the sun and sky.
Lucy soaked in the beauty as she looked at the eastern horizon shining bright flashy colors: red, orange, blue, purple, and pink were only a few of the magnificent aurora. As the sky grew brighter and bolder, the bright stars in the dark sky began to fade, indicating dawn was drawing near. While it had been a long and gruesome night, Lucy was only grateful to be alive. As it was getting close to dawn, Caspian felt that something was amiss. Everything and everyone was quiet.

Too quiet..

      It was easy to see that everyone was doubtful that the mysterious charade Vartan had thrown was finished. Making everyone in no hurry to return to the castle. Even Caspian himself felt defeated as he and Peter rode ahead of the Narnians side by side. He silently cursed himself for listening to Lucy and desperately wished he had finished Vartan when he had the chance. He felt a sickening feeling that something horrid was going to happen, and it left him feeling very unsettled. Everyone seemed to feel it as well. They lagged behind and for the first time, he could see small signs of fear in his own people's eyes, Which scared him, for Narnians were rarely afraid of anything.

"Caspian, are you alright?" Peter whispered as he leant towards him in concern.
Caspian nodded faintly. "Yes of course, only thinking."
   "You do not believe this is over." Peter stated, and Caspian knew it was not a question. After a moment of hesitation, Caspian finally voiced his dark thoughts.
    "I believe the worst is yet to come." He stated clearly. "Everything I have experienced from Vartan, I know he will not stay away. He is too far gone in his quest for blood filled revenge."
"And as long as he is alive, innocent lives are at stake." Peter responded grimly as he kept his gaze on the trail beyond.
   "Yes." Caspian whispered.

A silent moment passed as each rode beside each other. Caspian thinking of defeat, and Peter desperately plotting to win this fight. High King Peter had always been known for his perseverance, even when there was no hope.
Finally, Peter looked over to Caspian, and responded. "Let me finish this Caspian. I will ride until I find him, I will kill him, and finish it once and for all." Peter said passionately.
The thought of Peter willing to put his life at risk and even be killed for him made Caspian feel grateful he had such a loyal friend. However, he still had no wish to involve Peter in his own affairs.
"No Peter, this is my fight, and mine alone."
"And I say it is not Caspian, it is your ancestors who began this. And I say you are not the one who needs to worry of this. You have other matters to attend to." He said as he gave a slight jerk of his head in the direction of Lucy, who was riding less than ten yards behind them in complete silence.
     He and Lucy had yet to speak to each other, or she to look at him for that matter. Things had not gone well after he had forbidden her to stay away if a war broke out, and even though every part of him wanted to see her happy, he still could not bring himself to let the possibility of losing her.

'You foolish foolish man' He thought to himself.
   As Caspian looked over to the figure that held Peter's gaze, he could only hope that she was not able to hear their conversation. He finally turned back to Peter and let out a frustrated sigh. "If only it were that simple." He stated as he slowly shook his head.
    Peter cocked his head in confusion. "My sister, or Vartan?"
Caspian let out an exasperated sigh. "Both I am afraid." He replied as he attempted to lighten the conversation. However instead of softening, Peter's face suddenly froze and Caspian cringed as he thought he had misspoken.
"There is a rider ahead, and he is coming towards us." Peter hollowly explained.