F i n

Epilogue

"Robert, that's not how you do a C chord. Here, let's do it again." I said to the dark-haired seven-year old.

            I love my job dearly but children? Dear God, what did I put myself into? But seeing their smiles when they perform to their parents warmed my heart. Not only did they did a good job, but it was enough proof that I did, too.

            But, let me tell you, the road to success is full of obstacles. Hair pulling, vomiting and a whole lot of crying.

            "Ms. Woods! Matt is pulling on my pigtails again!" Anna said, one of my top students.

            Matt, the known naughty kid yet easiest to teach in my class, burst out laughing. "I only did it because they remind me of my horses in our ranch! Tell Anna not to put her hair in pigtails next time."

            "You meanie!" With an angry huff, Anna focused back on her keyboard and began to play a melody.

            "Okay, everybody, from the top!" I took my place in the front and looked at them one by one. "The recital is a week away from now. By tomorrow, I'll start to put you guys in positions."

            A dark hand shot up. Livy's wide eyes widened further more as she asked, "Will we all be in the recital, Ms. Woods? Mama wants me to be in it so grammy can watch us." Choruses of 'me toos' followed.

            I laughed. "Yes, Livy. Everyone will be in the recital. That wouldn't happen if we don't start to practice now, would it?" All heads nodded. "Okay. In one, two, three..."

**

Two hours of practice later, the Christmas song we've been practicing for over a month was near perfection.

            "That was awesome, you guys!" I beamed, piling my sheet notes in a folder. "But I think, we need to practice on the sustain a little bit? Instead of doi—"

            A knock cut me off mid-sentence. "Hey, Harper!" Vanessa's ever-so chirpy voice boomed. She made her way inside the room, her stomach as round as a basketball. She was due in less than two weeks but she insisted on being outside most of the time. Xander had no idea what to do anymore.

            I kissed her cheek. "Shouldn't you be in bed rest, Nessa? How's the baby doing?"

            "Oh, he's doing fine. Been kicking around a lot but we're fine. Xander just took a day-off today and I left him at a café to head here." She turned to the kids and waved. "Hey, everyone! I can't wait to watch you all in the Christmas recital. I'm sure baby Miles does too."

            I shot her a dirty look. "You left Xander? If you weren't pregnant right now, I would've hit you a long time ago. Go back to him. Now."

            "All in good time, babe." She walked past my giggling students. "Okay, everybody, let's start cleaning up. Your mommies and daddies will be here soon."

            I looked at the time then back at them. "Don't forget to bring a copy of our piece with you, guys."

            By the time everybody was out, only Vanessa, Matt and I were left.

            "Why can't I go home yet?" He whined, propping his feet on the table. "Mom and Dad are waiting for me."

            "Matt, I can't allow you to go home without any supervision. I'll call your mom or your dad and see if they can pick you up."