Open Relationship

This is just a sneak preview of the story coming on here when Politically Incorrect is finished, which sadly, will be soon :'( This is actually going to be R, so it can't be entered into the Watty Awards for next year, but I still hope you all enjoy it! :) 

Please leave me some feedback on what you guys think, okay? 

When you get to the song In the Mood, I posted it in video form on the side for you to hear it :)

_____________________________________________________________________________

An open relationship is a relationship in which the people involved agree that they want to be together, but in which romantic or sexual relationships with additional people are accepted, permitted or tolerated. 

Chapter 1

            I looked in the mirror for the last time before heading to work. My dark hair was pulled back and my makeup was simple enough to just make my large dark eyes pop a little more. I sighed and grabbed the keys off the table and proceeded out the door.

The jazz club wasn’t too far away, and I had no problem just walking there. However, it wasn’t exactly a fun-filled walk home. Usually I was able to have my brother walk me home, but I wasn’t even sure if he was working tonight.

I come from a family consisting only of adopted children. My parents couldn’t have any of their own, so they adopted. My sister Hollis and I were adopted together (though we’re not blood sisters). Our brother, Wes was already part of the family when we joined and looks more like our parents than we do. While we were a little on the tanner side with dark features, Wes had sandy blonde hair he kept short, with honey brown eyes. Wes took the big brother profile very seriously and didn’t like to hear of anyone messing with his little sisters. The three of us actually live together in a three-bedroom apartment in the city, close to the jazz club Wes owns.

I avoided the eyes of everyone I passed before I felt safe inside the club. “Hey James!” Hollis shouted at me. Yes, I had a very strange name for a girl, but I liked it. I assure everyone I meet that James is a unisex name and that I don’t like to be called Jamie to be more girly. I waved to her before heading behind the bar and tying on my half apron.

“You’re off early.” I commented as I walked over to where she was seated at the bar.

“Yeah, a couple of the guys from the station are coming to meet me for drinks. I finished my work so they let me head here early.” She answered with a shrug. “Anyway, they said they hadn’t been here before and wanted to check it out.”

Hollis worked over at the police station behind the desk. She mostly filed papers and kept things organized, but she worked here when she got off there. The two of us both worked two jobs to keep afloat while paying for school, but bartenders made good tips so we didn’t mind when we had extra spending cash. My day job wasn’t so different from hers. I worked over at city hall doing basically the same thing she did.

“So, you’re not working tonight then? Is Wes?” I asked. Wes worked a lot, but that didn’t necessarily mean I saw him every time I was here. Sometimes he was held up in his office keeping things organized. Running a club was not an easy task. However, there were times when he helped us work the bar and the floor. He was too stubborn to hire anyone else. He said employees were expensive.

“Um, I think so. He’s back in his office if you want to ask him.” She said with a shrug.

The jazz club had actually belonged to our father before he decided to retire and leave it to Wes. Both Hollis and I had turned down any part of the ownership because we had wanted to go to school and pursue other things. Wes had been more than happy to take over. Our mother was a lawyer, so she was pretty busy the majority of the time. She hoped for one of us to follow in her footsteps, but we were slow to follow.