Open Relationship - Chapter 9

Okay, here's ch 9 that everyones been begging for! Hope you like. I'm addicted to this song on the side, so take a listen, though, it's actually really for the next chapter of Socially Inept ^_~

I'm actually kind of sick at the moment, so I'm sorry that my updates are slow, but its midterm week also so cut me some slack please, lol. 

Please vote and comment everyone! Thank you!

___________________________________________________________

James

“So what is it that you do, exactly?” I asked him, when he returned with the wine. He smiled and sat beside me, a little farther than I would have liked.

“I’m an anesthesiologist.”

“Eh?”

“It’s-…”

“No, I know what an anesthesiologist is. You just didn’t strike me as the doctor type. You seem so young.”

“Well, I’m 28 so I’m probably not as young as you thought I was.”

“Oh…” I looked down at my wine and he cleared his throat.

“Does that bother you?”

“Oh, no! I was just taking in the fact that I just went on a date with a doctor. I don’t usually get asked out by guys like that.”

“What do you mean, guys like that?” He narrowed his eyes in confusion.

“I don’t mean anything bad by it. Quite the opposite.” I ran my finger along the rim of the glass as I stared into the sparkling liquid. “You’re a good guy, successful, handsome, and I’m not used to the whole package.”

“Is that why you’re with that other guy?”

I scowled. “Can we not talk about Noah, please?”

“I just don’t see why someone as sweet as you would be in that situation. You’re smarter than that.”

“Listen Landon, you don’t know me at all. And I refuse to sit here while you judge me for my decisions.” I set the glass on the table and went to stand.

“No, wait. James, please sit down. I’m sorry. Let’s talk about something else.” I hesitated for a moment, but then decided I should stay. He hadn’t actually meant to make me upset by what he said. I sat back on the couch and there was an awkward silence for a moment.

“So, what made you want to be a doctor?”

“Erm,” He shifted, crossing his legs and sitting back making himself more comfortable. “Well, I would say that when I was younger, the fact that my mother was in the hospital so often made me want to be able to help people like the doctors helped her.”

“If you don’t mind me asking, why was your mother in the hospital?”

“She had breast cancer. For a while, we weren’t sure if she was going to make it. But, in the end she pulled through, and I can’t thank the hospital enough for that. She was strong too, I knew she wouldn’t go down without a fight.”

“Oh wow, I don’t know what I would’ve done if I’d been in that situation. I bet your parents are really proud.”

“Well, my mother is. My father, not so much.”

“How could your father not be proud of what you’ve accomplished?” I asked, shocked. Don’t all parents wish their children could aspire to be something as successful as a doctor? Especially one as accomplished as an anesthesiologist.