Chapter 16

So, I know you guys are really confused as to where I've been for forever, and I shall explain. 

 I had midterms again, and Spring break just ended. I'm trying to play catch up now for you guys, so just know I'm not going anywhere. I may be absent now and then, but I'm here for the long run, k? Love you guys! 

Vote and comment!! FB fanpage in external link! 

___________________________________________

James

I’d fallen asleep on the couch while watching How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days, one of my absolute favorite romantic comedies. I woke up the next morning a little out of it after all the wine from last night. I looked over to see Abby asleep on the floor tangled in a mess of blankets. I looked over and saw Wes coming out of his room and he gave me a confused glance at the sight of Abby. He cocked an eyebrow and I whispered, “Landon’s sister.”

“Ah. You two work everything out yet?” I felt my face crumple and he gave me a sad gaze. “I guess from how many wine bottles I see over in the kitchen, I’d say no.” He paused. “Are you okay, James?”

“Um…I guess. I dunno. Not yet.” I finally settled on an answer and he came over to sit on the couch and gave me a hug.

“It’ll all work out, sis. Don’t worry. He’d be an idiot to pass up on someone as wonderful as you.”

“Thanks, Wes.” He gave me a kiss on the cheek and ruffled my hair before heading toward the door.

“She’s cute,” He added, nodding at Abby before leaving. I laughed and wagged my eyebrows at him as he walked out the door with a chuckle.

I started making breakfast when Abby finally woke up. “James?” She called and I walked back into the living room, plates of pancakes and bacon in hand. “Oh damn girl. Forget about my brother. Marry me.” She said, graciously taking the plate from me and digging in.

“So, who is Katrina anyway? Were they ever really serious?” I asked, not able to hold it in anymore. Abby looked uncomfortable for a moment.

“Are you really going to ruin such a great breakfast?”

“I’m serious. I want to know.” I pushed and she sighed.

“They dated for a while. A good two years before she left for graduate school in another state and he left for medical school. They just didn’t have time for each other anymore so they decided to break it off. She moved back recently. She came into contact with my mother and she arranged for her to come to the party.”

“Graduate school, hm?” I remarked sourly. So she was the type of girl his parents wanted for him. Someone more at Landon’s level than me.

“She’s a lawyer. She’s been waiting to move back here for a while.”

“I see.” I let out a breath. “She’s obviously a better match for him than I am.”

“No, James. I mean, she’s nice, but I see the way you and Landon look at each other. And you two have such a great connection after such a short time together.”

“She’s so much more accomplished than I am though. She’s the type of girl your parents would like. You were there. You saw what they thought of me.” I grumbled, looking down at my unappetizing plate of pancakes.

“You’re younger than her. You can’t compare it that way. You’re going to be a teacher. Look at everything you’ve accomplished! You can’t put yourself down, because you’re amazing. Okay?” There was a moment of silence as we both ate. “Did you talk to that Noah guy yet?”