Chapter 3 - Bast Astra Part Three

The Astra Clan's forest was divided into two according to which side of the elder tree it was on. To the West, where it bordered the city of Light, was the part of the forest which was actually used. But, to the east side, it was forbidden territory. The reason was very, very simple. Anyone who had dared to venture there, where ferocious and dangerous creatures laid in wait, would never come back alive. Even so, every once in a while a brave elf would dare to venture there, all for the sake of one thing – The Lake Selenia.

Now, this wasn't just any lake. If it were, so many innocent elves wouldn't have been stupid- brave enough to waste- lose their lives for it. No, this was a legendary lake, the rumors surrounding it numerous and unconfirmed.

That day, yet another stupid- brave elf dared to venture into the malicious forest, bright smile in place, sword hanging to the side as the book laid under the other arm. But, Bast was surprised. What had everyone been so scared of?

Instead of fearing the lake he was actually having the time of his life. What a bonus! The animals of this forest were especially helpful, throwing themselves in his path, just so he could wildly swing his long sword, creating a beautiful path of blood which trailed behind him. Beast after beast with long pointy fangs fell pitifully to the forest ground, entertaining the evil- brave elf who defeated their poor- evil selves.

I will now give the reader a pause, for I fully understand how you must be feeling at the moment. That pizza you had for dinner is coming up? Don't worry. Take deep breaths. I'm currently doing the same...Okay, moving on!

Even though Bast was right about them throwing themselves at him willingly, he didn't know that even in this forest they were not normally this way. The ferocious beasts were especially desperate tonight, trying with all their might to hold back the stupid elf who was currently throwing away his life, but also putting all of them in danger. As the sword pierced their furry forms, for a single moment they thought that maybe dying this way wasn't so bad. After all, the anger which would arise later would have been far worse to endure...

Bast had almost reached the forest, but one last beast stood in his way. This one was slightly different from the others, being five times the size of the ones before, which were already bigger than a normal beast.

The harry thing growled at him wildly, eyes blazing with a thirst for the blood which shared it's color, white fangs gleaming eerily into the darkness of the moonless night. Yes, the ferocious beast was ready to pounce. But, wait. If you look closely into it's bloody red eyes, even though only for a split second, a flash of fear is very evident. Why would such a big, strong creature react this way when faced with a slender and delicate looking elf?

If you, dear reader, have paid any attention to the words I have thus written, you will understand by now this elf's dark, but seemingly bright personality. Even if he is currently hanging an arm around my neck, a big goofy grin of his delicate features as he says – “What are you talking about? I'm harmless.” – do not for a second doubt my words, for they could prove fatal. That and...STOP TOUCHING ME ALREADY! Ahem. Sorry for the sudden burst. But, I don't think he will interrupt me any time soon. Anyway...

The slender and delicate looking elf was smiling, blood splattered across his pale features and dripping from his long sword. If that wasn't enough to tell you of his twisted- brave personality, the glint in his azure orbs should have done the trick. Even if he could fool others, you should never underestimate an animal's sixth sense. And no, Bast, I'm not an animal. Just very, very observant. And why are you still here?

Ahem! Anyway, the poor beast knew in it's heart it had just met a greater foe, an enemy to be wary of. The man who stood before him was not just any elf. But, the poor thing also knew what awaited him if he let the elf pass, and he could not allow it. Truly a courageous being, the beast growled, pushing away it's fears.