Chapter 18

Suddenly, the machine beeps steadily. My heart starts beating again, my life back together.

"Miss, Im afraid you're going to have to take off the suit, you're scaring patients." An older woman explains, standing by my side.

"If i could take it off in here, i would." I point out, trying to pull out bend screws.

"Is there someone we can call for you?" She asks.

"Actually, yes please. But can i call her please?"

"Of course. Use mine." She offers handing me her blackberry.

"Thanks." I reply, taking the phone out of her wrinkled hands.

I punch in Pepper's number and she answers after the first ring.

"Hello? Skye, is it you?" She questions.

"Yeah, its me. You need to come to the hospital, dad stopped breathing and the arc reactor stopped. Im scared Pepper." I whisper, tears falling onto my lips.

"Im coming." She whispers and puts the phone down.

"Thank you very much." I mutter, handing the phone back and sitting down on a plastic chair. The woman walks away and Im left alone.

A doctor appears in front of me, his gloved hands covered in deep red blood, blood that has been near the heart.

"We've restarted his heart, but he has deep wounds and will need surgery."

"What is the chance he'll survive?"

"We don't know."

"Im nearly 16, i can handle it. Please, tell me." I whisper.

"15%." He admits.

The pain in my lungs digs deeper and i start to hyperventilate, my gasps becoming quick and recognizable as an asthma attack. The suit seems to be digging into me, making me feel crammed and restricted.

The doctor crouchs in front of me.

"Stay calm. Do you have asthma?" He asks, places his hand on my knee. I nod, but i haven't had an attack in 12 years. He races off, leaving me trying to breath. He sprints back with a blue inhaler. I breath it in quick and the pain in my lungs decreases.

"Thanks." I whisper.

"Your head needs dressing." He points out. My head? My fingers raise to my head and i feel the warm blood.

"Oh."

"I need to see Tony and Skye Stark." I hear a female voice say.

"Pepper?" I ask. She spins around, her face tear stained.

"Are you okay?" She asks, about to step forward and hug me but i put my hand out to say no. I don't want sympathy, i just want my dad back.

"Sorry." She whispers.

"Come with me, Skye." The doctor orders, i stand up and follow him into a cubicle.

I sit on the blue bed in the middle. The doctor pulls off his white clothes, putting them in the yellow bin and then pulling on a new pair of white latex gloves.

"Nice suit." He mutters.

"Thanks."

"You take after your dad, then?"

"Something like that." I admit. He pulls out a bowl of water and a sponge, dabbing at the deep gash in my forehead. I watch as the water turns red, then he puts crocodile stitches over the cut and clears everything away.

"All done." He announces. I pass him the asthma inhaler back.

"Keep it."

"I haven't had an asthma attack in 12 years." I explain.

"You don't know when you might need it."

He pulls the curtain open and i step out, the metal of the suit echoing in the hospital. All the patients eyes burn on me. Pepper is stood by the door, watching as they place all the cords and machines onto the bed. They push the bed through the doors, into the corridor and into the elevator. I catch a glimpse of him. Wires are covering his face and coming out of his mouth, with wires and connectors on his chest. I feel sick and Pepper starts to cry. I lean against the wall, sitting down and the suit metal crunches on me.

"There's seats here." Pepper points out, sitting next to me on a seat.

"I prefer the floor, more space and i can be flexible." I explain, smiling.

"Flexible? In that suit? You risked your life to save us."

"I know, its my fault you were all there." I whisper, not having the courage to look into her painfilled eyes.

"Zeke's on his way." She announces.

"What?"

"I called Zeke, he's on his way here." She repeats.

"I can't see him, i can't." I whisper to myself.

"He just wants to make sure you're safe."

"Im never safe. I can't get the look he gave me out of my mind."

"Skye, he was drugged. But you got him out of it, doesn't that mean something?" Pepper points out.

"I need time."

"Skye?" I hear his voice.

I raise my head to see him. Zeke's face is bruised and black, his eyes.red and puffy.

"Please talk to me." He begs, crouching down in front of me like Im a child.

"I can't." I repeat, not looking him in the eyes.

"I need time." I admit.

"I'll wait." He whispers, leaning his forehead against mine and forcing me to look up at him. His beautiful emerald green eyes searching mine, his eyes sparkling with love. Suddenly, i see the pain and hatred that he was like on the drug.

"I've got to go." I admit, pushing past him and racing to the bathroom, making it just in time to be sick down the sink. Everything drains from me and i feel like i can't go on. I attempt to pull off parts of this annoying suit that clings to me like skin. But the suit sticks like wet clothes.

I march out into the waiting room in reception and sit on the floor next to Pepper.

"Has Zeke gone?" I ask.

"Yes. He said to give you this." She explains, passing me a pink bag. I take it from her and open it, pulling out the black material inside. I unfold it, to show a black t-shirt with 'Genius' written in chemical symbols. I smile as a tear escapes my eye, a small piece of card falls out. 'Happy early birthday to my beautiful genius.' I never told him when my birthday is but i can't stop the smile that spread across my face.

The male doctor from before appears in front of us. I look up and see guilt and sympathy cover his face. I feel a stab in my heart.