Chapter 5

flashback~~---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"My name Is Colonel Roy Mustang, but you will either call me Colonel, or Colonel Mustang. It's formalities from here on out. Do you have any questions before I hand you your first assignment?" The colonel asked, pulling out a file from his stack of paperwork. You wonder if that stack ever fell over, and how he could have kept it standing up.
"No sir....Well actually, yes, I do have one question," You replied, adding a "Sir" to the end. He raised a brow as you asked your question. "Will I be able to have time to study my alchemy and get my skills up?"
"Well, what are your skills exactly?" he answered a question with a question, folding his hands on the desk and leaned towards you. "Well, I can produce little fires and pools of water, but my range isn't very far. I'm trying to study to figure out how to extend the reach of the alchemy. Also, I have an effect on plants and wildlife that seems to be different than most people." You added that last art in, unknowing of whether or not that was counted as alchemy.
"Effects on plants and animals?" Mustang seemed to have been paying little attention earlier, as if it was part of a repeated exercise, until you mentioned the anomaly. "Like how? Show me." he said, in an authoritative way.
You nodded at the command and looked on his desk to see a potted flower that seems to be dying. You sigh, realizing that the colonel must not know how to correctly take care of a plant. You reach your hand out and touched a leaf, and focused as it went from a brown to a green color. The color traveled to the stem of the leaf, then to the stems of the plant itself. The plant seemed to have straightened out and the flowers bloomed a white color with little red patterns. You finish, and took a gasp of air, realizing you have been holding your breath as you were healing the plant.
You looked up at the colonel and thought you saw surprise etched on his face, but it quickly went away right after you looked at him. "Well...that was, different," he finally said. "And animals? What kind of effect do you have on them?"
You thought hard as you tried to think of a way to explain the fact that animals seem to follow you wherever you go. "Well, I guess I can summon an animal and get it to listen and follow my words. Kind of like telling him or her what to do," you replied carefully.
"So, kind of like a commanding officer giving out orders then." The colonel pondered what you have presented and said, as his hand went to his chin, thinking of a way to respond to your actions. You noticed his hand flicking away, interpreting that as a dismissal. You stood up, saluted, then left the colonel to his thoughts.