Chapter 4

~Eve's Pov~

My eyes widened more than they already were. White fangs? Holy shit! I backed away from them until my back hit something solid. Jayy crouched down further as Zeke stepped toward me and hissed. Zeke looked at Jayy and hissed, crouching down as well. Jayy lunged at him, tackling him to the ground, letting a low, guttural growl escape his lips. Zeke pushed him off and stood up, brushing himself off. He walked out without a word.

Jayy sighed and stood as well. He looked at me and flashed me a sympathetic look.

"You're...you're.." I stuttered.

Jayy sighed and nodded.

"You kill people!?!" I screeched.

Jayy ran a hand through his hair and sighed again.

"I only go for those who are already dying." He said.

"You still kill people."

"I know but it's the only way I can survive." He said.

"Not true. I saw Zeke eating human food earlier." I said matter-of-factually.

"Yes, we can eat human food but it holds no nutritional value for us."

"Oh."

"And you should probably take care of your hand before Zeke comes back for you." He suggested.

I nodded and walked to my room, cleaning my hand up and putting a bandage on it. I walked back downstairs to where Belle was. I sat next to her on the couch and watched the movie she was watching with her.

~Jayy's Pov~

I walked into Zeke's office after Evelyn walked up to her room. Dahvie was already in there, talking with him. Zeke motioned for me to sit and I obeyed. I tuned out their conversation, waiting for my chance to speak. After a couple of minutes, Zeke turned his attention to me, waiting for an answer to a question I had not heard.

"I'm sorry. What?" I asked dumbly.

"Are you ready?" He asked.

It took me a minute to figure out what he was implying. Then, it snapped together and I stood up abruptly.

"No way in hell am I doing that!!" I growled.

Zeke laughed maniacally. "Then the council will love to deal with her."

"I forbid them to touch her."

"Oh and what makes you think they will listen to you. You are but a boy in the eyes of the council. The only way to keep them off is to claim her as yours." Zeke said.

I sighed and sat back down.

"When?" I asked.

"Well considering the council will be here tomorrow for the gathering, I give you until midnight tomorrow or Cyrus will have his way with her. And trust me, once he gets a hold of her, there probably won't be much left when he's finished."

I sighed and stood up.

"I'll do it."

Zeke smiled and nodded.

"36 hours, Jeremy. That's all you have." He said before I walked out.