Chapter 14: Too Little, Too Late

*Jonathan’s POV*

I was lost. I was confused. Haley had just called and told me news I thought I would be receiving from a doctor.

I was sleeping in my bed with some random chick that I found at the club when my phone started to buzz. I looked at the caller ID and it was Haley.

“What do you want at 3 o’clock in the morning?” I asked her with the meanest voice I could at three in the morning.

“We need to talk so if you have some chick with you, you better go now.” Haley said and I could tell she was serious and I did as she said even though I hated it.

I got up from my bed, slipped on some pants, and then walked out onto my balcony.

“What do you want?” I asked?

“We just got a call from Melissa.” Haley was saying.

“What did she say?” I tried to ask like I didn’t care but there was excitement in my voice.

“She said you guys got back together when she returned to New York, then had a breakup, and now are going to have a child together.” Haley finished.

Everything was right until she got we were having a child together.

“Umm…Excuse me what was that last one again?” I asked a little stunned that I had to seat down on a chair.

“Yes, Jonathan you got Melissa pregnant.” Haley said with no emotion what so ever.

Haley and I talked a little after that but I hung up soon to clear mind. I looked over and saw a bottle of beer and took a big sip of it before putting it back down.  These were the thoughts running throw my mind:

‘Melissa and I were having a child’

‘Why didn’t she tell me when she found out?’

‘She and Jesse probably are already talking baby names.’

‘Why doesn’t she love me?’

I finally pulled my phone back out and opened up my text messages with Melissa and typed:

‘Haley just called and told me everything. We need to talk now.’

I locked my phone back and waited for a reply as I drunk and watched the sun begin to rise little by little.

*Melissa’s POV*

I woke up cuddled up to Jesse and felt so warm. I didn’t move at all I stayed like that because I felt safe and knew as long as I stayed here in his arms I wouldn’t have to face the world.  Jesse stirred and then fluttered his eyes open. He grinned when he saw me and a grinned right back.

“Good morning beautiful.” he said as he pulled me as close as he could to his body.

“Good morning.” I said as I leaned in for a kiss.

“Umm… I love getting one of those every morning.” he said after we pulled away from the kiss.

We laid there for a couple of more minutes and then he had to get up. He had to work the club tonight and had to go in early to do inventory. I let him get up and go take a shower. I rolled over and took my phone off the charger. I looked through my Facebook feed, checked my Instagram, and then my Twitter before going to my messages.  I looked at my messages that Jonathan sent me and looked at the last one again:

‘Haley just called and told me everything. We need to talk now.’

I held my breath not sure what to type back. Before I could type back Jesse came back in his room with just a towel wrapped around his waist. I could see every muscle in his body including his six-pack and the V that drives me crazy. He came and sat down beside me on the bed. He looked at the text and then back at my troubled face. 

“You should talk to him Melissa it’s his child that’s in here.” he said as he rubbed my stomach.

I giggled and I saw him grin. I finally replied to Jonathan’s text saying I would him at the Chinese Restaurant down from my apartment because I had to stop there and get more of my stuff anyway. Jonathan agreed and we would meet at 3. Jesse said I could use the car today and he would take the subway. I thanked him and then before he left gave him the biggest and deepest kiss I could.

I looked over at my phone after he left to see it was 2:30 and realized I should probably get going. I was dreading meeting up with Jonathan alone but I knew it had to be done.

***********************************************************************************

I pulled Jesse’s mustang into an empty spot and then climbed out of the car. I had to fix my shirt because it keeps riding up but I already knew why so I couldn’t complain. I walked into the restaurant and saw Jonathan sitting in the same place we sat when I came back to New York. I walked over and took my seat. Jonathan looked up and then took a sip of his water.  The waitress came back and I ordered my drink and something to eat.

“Jonathan.” I said as I waited for him to look up at me.

He looked up at me and I could tell he had questions to ask me.

“Go ahead ask away.” I said as the waitress came with my drink.

“First, how did you not know?” he asked me while the waitress brought his food.

“Well I had forgotten we hadn’t been using protection and it didn’t occur to me that the throwing up could have meant I was pregnant.” I told him.

He stirred the lemon around in his water and the waitress came to place my food down.

“Ok, second, why didn’t you tell me once you found out?” he asked and I could tell by his voice he was a little hurt that I hadn’t told him.

“Because I was afraid you wouldn’t be there to support me.” I told him with a stern look.

He looked up at me in surprise and it startled me a little.

“I may have a past but I will support that child. Melissa you can’t just judge me by my past.” he said with a little chuckle.

“I’m not judging you by your past, look in the present Jonathan, you hurt me and I don’t you hurting this baby.” I said as I noticed my voice getting louder.

Jonathan didn’t say anything for a while and I was really mad now that I had to pull my hair up because it was getting hot in here.

“I understand, calm down Melissa, but I won’t hurt this baby. I want to be part of his or her life.” he said as he took my hand that was on the table into his.

I looked down at my hand and then back at him. He was smiling but it faded once he saw my face.

“Please come back to me Melissa, leave whatever his name is.” Jonathan said.

I was so shocked I didn’t know what to say for a while. I quickly pulled my hand away from his and grabbed my purse.

“His name is Jesse and he will be a part of my kid’s life and I will never go back to you.” I said as I stood up to leave.  

As I was walking by him he grabbed my wrist and I looked back at him as he said, “Please Melissa I need you.”

“I’m sorry Jonathan you’re just too little, too late. “ I said as I got out of his grip and walked out of the door.

A/N:

So what did you guys think? I really like these chapters. Keep looking back for frequent updates. I’m trying to finish this story and my other one Destiny so I can work on my series. Thanks for the support <3!