Alpha

I had only been back in New Jersey for a few days and Chanel spent every moment trying to both show me more attention than she's ever given me while also trying to keep me at arms length.

I could tell that this thing between us, is something she definitely wasn't use to.

And to be honest I was perfectly fine with that.

I liked that she had never "loved" another guy... but in the same respect, I wish she would just act on her feelings is read of overthinking everything and pulling back.

I loved to observe her here in her hometown, this place was hers, here she was in her zone, easily giving small orders without a second thought but I could tell she was hurting. It hurt her to see her father so weak, and it pained me to see her so unhappy.

"Oh I'll be right back." Chanel said as she moved to stand up from our seated position on the sofa.

She did this every night when Joyce would come over.

Chanel tends to hover over her father.

"Pussycat, your father is stronger than you're giving him credit for."

"I know he's strong and fully capable...but I also know he is just having s little trouble with a couple of the exercises."

I sighed, "how about tonight we actually let Joyce do her job."

She gave me a hard look, I knew she was gearing up to tell me off and object.

"You're right." She sighed in resignation, eyes much softer and a tired smile barely touching her cheeks. "I know I have to loosen the reigns a little, it's just hard to watch him struggle with something that comes so easy to us."

I nodded as a silent response, she took a seat next to me once more as Joyce easily moved the smaller sofa out of the way so the session could begin.

First she had Garland lay flat and work out the remainder of his leg, next was a little tricker for him, getting up without assistance, even as strong as he is (upper body wise)...he still has to get over that barrier that he needs to even out and distribute his weight differently so that he won't fall over.

He didn't do that.

Chanel shot up to help him and I stopped her by grabbing her arm.

If I thought she looked angry before, it was nothing in comparison to now. But I held on and shook my head from side to side, then moved my eyes to get her to have a look at her father.

Back on the floor he held his hand up in protest to Joyce's help, then he sat back up and this time stood up properly on the potato legs made for him.

Chanel sat right back down without a word.

Not too long after that I got up without warning and went out the back doors that led into their vast back yard to Gucci Garland his privacy...no man wants to look weak, especially an Alpha.

The nights air was beginning to cool. I took in the scenery and inhaled deeply...I knew I had to get ready to leave soon and if j was being honest...I had hoped that Chanel would come back with me, but after everything I had seen tonight I knew there was no way she would leave her dad with so much uncertainty still looming.

Sure her dad is better than he was before, and I have no doubt that any day he would begin walking and possibly even shift again one day.

But...What was still worrisome (even from my own standpoint), is that looming uncertainty. The uncertainty of, what if Garland can't shift any longer?

I sighed, those of us in the know about his injury had the same concern, and to be honest I've never known a wolf with no legs and if he can't shift... he can't be alpha of this pack for much longer, it's only a matter of time before someone younger, stronger, and ambitious comes around and tries to take the pack from him.

Suddenly I was aware that I was no longer alone, but I could feel that it wasn't Chanel.

"It's good to see you again Luca."

"And you as well Alpha Richmond."

Chanel's grandfather chuckled, "I don't believe either one of us is ready for you to call me grand poppy, but I suppose I wouldn't mind too terribly if you called me Kingsley."

Chanel had definitely inherited his feisty side.

"What brings you out this evening Kingsley?"

He chose to ignore my question at first.

"You know I'm not too surprised to find you here, I assured our dear Chanel that you two wouldn't have to go too long without seeing each other." He responded knowingly, "unfortunately the both of you can not actually BE together yet,"

He noticed my questioning expression and held his hands up to silence me before I could even speak.

"I only mean that until Garland actually makes progress in finding a successor alpha, you and Chanel won't ever truly be together. Knowing my son in law, I would wager anything to say that Garland hasn't even begun looking for someone to replace him...and that brings us back to your question, as I am here to suggest a rather promising prospect."

I knew he had to be right, since I had been here I had neither seen or heard of Garland looking into replacements, and Chanel sort of brushed the subject under the rug...because to talk about her father's successor meant he wouldn't be alpha any longer...and she refused to accept that.

"Well then what are we still standin out here for?" I asked and gestured for him to lead and I'd follow him back inside.

Joyce was just leaving and Chanel was helping her father into his wheelchair.

"Kingsley" Garland sounded just a little bit winded, "what brings you by so late?"

"And completely unannounced." Chanel threw in wryly before she greeted him with a playful hug.

After righting himself Kingsley finally spoke, "we need to talk, it's time you've made some decisions Garland...and Chanel my dear...this includes you too."