Stay Away

"I-I'm just gonna step out for some air." I excused myself, leaving Sasha with a female pack member of Vincent's who had come over to talk to us.

The two looked at me and nodded before I exited through the back door.

I knew this night had gone horribly wrong, this wasn't the way things were suppose to go.

Chanel was suppose to see me with Sasha, confront me about her and then i'd tell her she was just a friend nothing more and make her admit that not only does she want to be with me, but that she's always wanted to be with me.

Instead she completely blindsided me by possibly being engaged to a fucker who isn't even her mate...some prick asshole who has to try and one up everyone.

The thought alone made me begin to shake.

"Luca."

I turned and came face to face with Chanel, I stopped shaking.

"Who is she?!" She asked with a low angry growl.

I gnoses her and actually turned my back to her before she grabbed my arm and forced me to the. Back around and face her.

"Answer me dammit...who in the hell is that female you brought to my best friends rehearsal dinner?"

"Her name is Sasha... Not that it really concerns you, what with you being engaged and all!" I shouted before collecting my cool, "but if you must know Chanel...Sasha is a friend of mine, that's it...my honest to goodness friend."

"Lower you voice" she snapped at me.

I didn't care that she was pissed at me or that she is engaged to that asshat Vincent.

She is MY mate dammit!

I took her face into my hands and kissed her roughly before she pushed me away, I repeated the process only to have her push me away again and this time she even slapped me.

"Don't...just don't Luca."

"Chanel...-" I sounded defeated.

"I can't do this Luca." She sounded as tears built up in her eyes now. "I so tired...I'm tired of all of the lies and secrets and hiding...I want you and you know I do...I just can't right now."

Then I stepped in close to her once more, this time I only reached out and caressed her face, she leaned her head gently into palm.

"Why do you insist on pushing me away Chanel...you're my mate...and I love you." I sounded desperately as I cleared her stray tears from her delicate face.

The words sounded foreign even to me, but I meant them fully.

"After the wedding, I promise." She said looking straight in the eye. "

"Really?" I asked utterly shocked.

She bit her bottom lip and then nodded, "I swear, after the wedding I will go home and tell my father and grandfather the truth, I will break things off with Vincent and then it'll be just me and you."

"Don't play with me PussyCat." I replied hopefully.

She pulled my head down to hers and kissed me passionately, "I love you Luca Minicci, I hate that I do but it's true, and I can't even imagine being with anyone else but you, you're my everything...we just have to make it through this wedding and then we'll be home and finally be able to be together."

I leaned down and kissed her once more.

With a sigh she looked back at the large pack house, "I should go back in before people start to wonder where I've gone."

I didn't want her to go but I knew ultimately she was right, I could easily slip out unnoticed, she on the other hand...well she's a bit more noticeable than me.

I nodded and then watched as for the first time ever, Chanel unwillingly walked away from me.

My wolf was so elated at our mate's promise that we didn't even sense someone approaching us.

"You should leave her alone while you still can."

I turned to see it was Vincent's cousin Martin, finishing off a cigarette.

"I don't know what you're talking about?" I lied, who knows what he saw or heard, even worse, who he'd tell.

He made the sound of a humorless chuckle, "if you love her, then you'll stay away from her."

"It's not that easy, you don't understand."

This time she shook his head, "no YOU don't understand...my cousin isn't exactly the person he pretends to be, let's just say he can be dangerous when he's angry."

His words put me on edge.

"Just remember, if you love Chanel then you'll stay away, better yet...maybe you should leave so that SHE can stay away from you."

"Are you threatening me?" I asked angrily "Let me make one thing very fucking clear, I'm not scared of you or your punk ass cousin."

At this he actually did smile.

"You have no reason to feel threatened by me, I won't say a thing to anyone and Vincent is only my cousin by blood, not by choice." He sounded, "his past actions are unforgivable and yet I have no choice but to fall in line and pretend that everything is fine like so many others in this pack."

I looked at him curiously.

"Not everything is as it seems Alpha Minicci, everyone is so blinded by the upcoming wedding that no one is reading between the lines and Vincent is able to hide in plan sight without anyone questioning him." Martin sounded cryptically.

"What aren't you tell me?"

At this he shook his head, "the less you know the better...if he suspects for one minute that you know the truth then I fear not for you, but for Chanel."

His words sent my heart into a pounding fury, my wolf wanted nothing more than to go find our mate and drag her back to Sparrow Grove where my pack could protect her.

But the reality is we are here, on his lands, where we are easily outnumbered and he has the one thing I love most in this entire fucking world.

My mate.

"Why are you doing this, helping me?"

Martin had begun to walk back toward the party and suddenly stopped, he didn't even turn around to answer me.

"I just don't want history to repeat itself."