The Plan

[[ Chanel's POV ]]

Once I was left alone I took that ring off my finger as quickly as possible, I couldn't ever imagine wearing the ring unless I absolutely had to. But I would never willingly wear it just to wear it.

I held the ring and looked down at the glimmering stone before I finally pocketed it for safety.

The day had just begun and I already had the hugest migraine.

And what was up with Vincent dropping such a bombshell on me. So he had a mate, and he lost her? What the hell was that all about...further proof that I know nothing about him.

Then again, it makes sense. What kind of Alpha knowingly pursues a she-wolf who isn't his mate unless he knew he didn't have one to make his Luna. This didn't stop me from wondering what happened to this girl.

Who is she? Did she leave him? I hope she didn't die, how horrible would that be?

Vincent's such a good guy, I can't imagine his mate just walking out on him.

Suddenly I felt worse, this meant that his mate did pass away, and here I was, adding to his heartache when I eventually tell him no, and he'll find out the truth some day, how Luca was my mate all along. No doubt he'll think we played him for a fool. I'll forever be seen as a bitch to him, he'll probably cut all ties with my father, how long would it take for my father to forgive me...what if he never did?

I hated myself more than ever, I had brought on all this bullshit for my own stupidity...and I was hurting all these people in the process.

I should have never involved him...I should have never denied my true feelings for Luca, I should have told my Father everything from the beginning.

No matter how hurt I felt, I should have never agreed to come here for the summer, I should have never given Vincent hope, I realize that my actions where juvenile and thoughtless and now my chickens were coming home to roost.

I grabbed a pair of keys and finally left his office. As I descended the staircase I saw Kammie chatting with a few of Luca's pack members, she had a knack of finding easy conversation with people she hardly knows. She spotted me and I gave her a wave.

I knew she probably thought I was leaving in search of my mate, but the fact was he was the last person I wanted to see right now...I really just needed to be alone.

. . .

[[ Luca's POV ]]

For the last two days I removed myself from any and all temptation by holing myself away on the ranch.

Vincent had come by personally to inform me that the engagement dinner had been moved up.

"Of course it has." I sighed heavily.

"Is something the matter Luca?"

I hated the fact that he was trying to be so chummy.

"I'm Peachy, I just have a guest coming into town a little earlier than I had planned." I admitted.

I hated doing it, but I knew I had to plant the seed.

By me telling him that I had someone coming, he wouldn't be able to keep it to himself and Chanel would find out. Of course she's going to be pissed but it's for the greater good...

I hope.

"Oh, I'm sure the wedding party will be pleased" he smiled in a relieved sort of fashion. "I know Evalina was worried that you would be bored and want to leave early...she somewhat took your absence these past two days as a small indication that you didn't want to be here."

I shook my head, "just had to check up on my pack back home and take care of some business, but rest assured I will stay until I fulfill my best man duties." I smirked.

'We'll stay until our mate is able to leave.' my wolf growled.

I had to push him back down and try my best to ignore that fact that he just wanted to come out and attack Vincent right here and now.

"So when will shall we expect your...guest."

"Sasha should be arriving any moment I hope you don't mind my inviting her, she is a very very good friend of mine."

He gave me wink as if to signal that he understood and turned to leave, he reached his car and called back "dinner's at seven, but cocktails are at six."

I repugnantly smiled and waved as he finally drove away.

"Asshole." I muttered.

Sasha needed to hurry up and arrive because I need to shift after having to play nice with the man that shares a bed with my mate.

I ground my teeth to fight back the urge to shift a little while longer.

It didn't take Sasha too long to arrive, once I greeted her and helped her with her luggage she settled into a separate room on the opposite end of the ranch house.

"This place is lovely." She commented.

"Want it...i know an alpha who'd more than likely give it to you if you offer him the right price."

She sighed "and what price would that be?"

I leaned in a little closer, I knew we were talking business now. "Nothing too serious, you know I would never ask you to do something you are uncomfortable with."

She nodded.

"These first couple of days I want you to stay close to me, but you are here strictly as my friend, we don't have to do more than be seen together and my mate will get jealous."

Once more she nodded and I continued.

"Closer to the wedding though, that's when I'm going to need to to amp up the seduction factor on Mr Perfect Alpha."

"You know I'll do anything but kiss him or sleep with him." She put in.

"That's fine," I assured her. "You just have to be caught with him, and more importantly, it has to be Chanel that catches you."

"Is that your mate?" She asked happily.

I couldn't help but smile and nod, "yes, Chanel is my mate, she's also the Alpha's girlfriend. So let her catch you with her boyfriend...she'll be pissed at him and feel bad for me. I know she wants to break things off with him anyways so that should give her the push she needs without hurting his feelings and then we can be together...once we get home and she tells me the truth I'll let her know that you were only my friend from the get go." I filled her in.

"I'm sure she isn't stupid, she's bound to piece it all together at some point."

This time I was the one that nodded, "I have no doubt in my mind that she will, and I know she'll be mad...but I can only pray to the moon goddess that she doesn't get too pissed off at me."

"Well let's hope this works."

"You should get ready Sasha, tonight you get to make your debut."