Gentle

{Chanel's POV}

As I made my way back into the house I couldn't keep the giddy smile from my face.

Was this all real?

The images of my previous conversation filled my head but it was all cut too short when Vincent approached me.

"Where have you been?" He asked gently as he took both of my hands into his.

"Oh, I just needed some air...Vincent we need to talk."

He nodded it carefully pulled me into dance formation as a song had started up. I didn't mind, I knew at least here in the dance floor he couldn't make a scene.

"You can tell me anything."

"Vincent" I said softly, "I shouldn't have taken this ring when you offered it to me, further more I should not have worn it tonight, I've given you false hope and for that I am sorry."

He was silent but nodded.

His expression was unreadable but I continued.

"You have been an excellent boyfriend, one that I couldn't ever deserve but I would be lying if I said my heart's been in it... You are the most amazing guy and in many ways I do wish you were my mate, but the fact is that you are NOT."

"I would be lying if I said I haven't worried about this." He replied with a sad smile. He looked at my face then made a silent sort of internal chuckle, "you've already found your mate haven't you?"

I couldn't hide the guilt written plainly on my face.

"I'm not mad, but how about this... I suggest we prolong this...'coupling' until the end of the wedding, to save face in front of all of these people, namely your father."

My father.

For once I had forgotten about what he would think once he found out I broke up with Vincent.

Damn him if he can't accept my mate...Luca and I don't need him!

BUT Vincent did have a point about keeping up appearances for the wedding as well as his alliance with my father.

"I can go along with that." I smiled, I mean, I basically was already going to do that anyways and then leave with Luca the day after the wedding.

Suddenly I heard the back doors open and I stupidly turned, I'm sure he could feel my body tense a bit.

But my body relaxed and I even smiled a little when it wasn't Luca who walked through the door but rather Vincent's cousin.

I turned back and noticed Vincent studying me before he looked back over at his cousin.

Suddenly the song was over and I was more than aware of the fact that Vincent might have misread my reaction toward his cousin.

"I didn't realize Martin was outside with you."

To be honest neither had I, suddenly my heart began to race...what if he saw Luca and I, or worse what if he HEARD Luca and I. He would've heard my entire hearts confession for my intense love for my mate. He is Vincent's cousin of course he would end up telling him everything and then I would have to worry about my mate being on an angry wolfs land.

I just stood there without a reply but it seems I didn't have to.

"You should be carefully of Martin, Chanel." Vincent said, smothering the growing tension. "He's my cousin by blood, not by choice..."

I watched as he now struggled to maintain his perfect composure.

"Let's just say, even though he is the Beta of this pack...he doesn't have the cleanest record to his name."