Chapter 18 Jesse

We checked into the hotel, the MacDonald, had a quickey in the shower to paY Ragan back for falling asleep on me, lets just say I'm amazed either of us can still walk, we had to dress in separate rooms or we would have never left the hotel. I wore a dark pair of jeans and a plaid button up dress shirt with a dark brown leather jacket. I'm a summer guy so even though Ragan wore a flowing salmon pink top that I could just see her bra threw with black trousers, she knew how distracting she looked in it, but I think she did it on purpose. I was too busy ogling my girl took me a moment to realise she was talking  

"Babe, you are so handsome, and I know they will love you, I am warning you, it might get a little harder with them, cause of me being married once before. They will be looking to see your genuine side. So relax, and be you, it is the best version you can give anyone." 

She was right I was nervous but not so much about meeting her family more about what was coming after.

We stopped at the local florist to get flowers for her mom and het grandma. I selected her some wild flowers, daisies and different ones that weren't that common. I picked some classic white and pick roses for her grandma. 

We parked outside her grandmas house and I could feel Ragans nerves, I smiled at her

"Baby it's fine, you've prepared me for the apocalypse and I bet we will be fine. I love you" 

Ragan rang the door bell and opened the door, a cute little dog came running up, I bent down and patted her and she seemed to love it, I'm a dog person so I know winning over a family dog is half the battle. 

Ragan introduced me to her mom, Step dad Vanja, grandma and granddad, I handed her mom and grandma the flowers

"Thank you Jesse they are beautiful, you didn't have too."

"I wanted too, it's a beautiful house you have, reminds me of Tuscany"

"Thank you, I've always loved it there. Go all sit in the living room while I put these in some water"

We moved into the living room and penny, jumped up on to Ragans lap and let Me rub her ears she was really a sweet dog.

We explained pleasantries for a bit then the expectant protective questions were asked

Her grandfather spoke up first "Music has changed a lot over the years, do you really see that as a future you could support yourself and a family with?"

"Yes sir, my music is my life, I've been through the ups and downs of the industry. Because of that I've been smart about it. Music has give me lots, it gave me Ragan. Ragans words in music were one of the reasons I feel in love with her. Music has made me financially secure enough that even if I didn't make another cent I could support us and our family for the rest of our lives. I don't take that for granted though, I worked hard for the last 20 years to get here. I'm thankful everyday for what music has given me." I smiled at Ragan.

"Good answer son." Few I think I got through that one

We talked about the tour and our life in LA for a while, things seemed to be going well

Ragans mother asked me to help her in the kitchen, this was my chance

Ragan squeezed My hand in reassurance.

"Supper can wait a minute come and sit in here with me" she led me to a small sitting room and pointed to two seats opposite each other

"Ragan is a passionate dreamer, she loves with all her heart, I can see she is like that with you. I have no doubt in that. What scares me is that she has fallen for the fantasy of you, of your lifestyle. I don't ever want to see her hurt like before. I can see you feel for her Jesse and I respect that. But how do you know that it's not just for now. That its forever"

Wow I see where Ragan gets her sense of apprehension from

"I can understand your observations, Our lifestyle, our love isn't typical. But we have just spent the last 3 months together 24/7 in a bus, that in itself is a hard test on any relationship. There's no escape on a bus. But instead of annoyance, instead of wanting to escape but I love her more. Mrs Lugonja, I love your daughter, I want to spend the rest of my life with her, I want to have a family with her, I know it won't always be easy, but things that are important to you you need to work hard at and I'm willing to work the hardest I ever have. Will you give your permission for me to ask Ragan to marry me?"

My palms were sweating this was the most nervous I had ever been

"Jesse, I can see your a lovely young man who loves my daughter very much, and even with all your success your still willing to put time and effort in. So yes you my permission."

Thank fuck I need a drink

"Thank you Mrs Lugonja, I promise you won't regret it."

I helped Ragans mom carry platters of tapas and nibbles out while Ragan went and helped her with drinks. Now that the last part of the plan was in place I could relax till later. 

Ragans grandfather loves music as well so we spoke lots about different music and instruments we could have talked for hours. We played a couple of hands of poker, Ragans grandmother was a great bluff and beat me several times with penny curled up in my lap.

After all the goodbyes, they were going to be my guests at the show the next night and we were all arranging where we meeting.

As we got back into the car, I looked at Ragan

"Ragan, your family is crazy similar to mine. Love to hang out, talk have a drink , play some games, so much fun! I feel like I know you more and love you more now." Resting her hand in mine, we drove back to the hotel.