The Haunted Apartment

Not long after I was married, my husband and I rented an apartment. The apartment building was in the shape of an L. There was our apartment in the back, there was the apartment around the front, and the last part of the "house" was the long part of the L, and it was unrented. The part of the house that my neighbors and I lived in used to be a house, but now it was broken down into two apartments. Later in years it had the add-on, which was the long part; it had been a hardware store. The "house" was where our landlord lived. His dad had passed on, and he bought a house the next street down. He then rented out the "house."

So, the first week we were there, I thought everything was great-newly married, no kids, and debt free. The following week, things began to happen. I was in the bathroom getting ready for a long bath; I even lit some candles. I left to go get my nightclothes in the bedroom. When I came back, there was an old woman with grey hair in an old style black dress. The dress was well worn and shapeless. She was kneeling over the tub and making what looked like scrubbing motions. The only thing I could think of was a washboard in the tub, which was how she did her clothes. Once I had that thought, I realized, "Hey! What's going on?" She then disappeared right in front of me. Needless to say, I did not take my bath. I told my husband about it; he said I was nuts, of course.

Then, about two days later, I was in the yard cutting grass, and it was starting to get dark. I had glanced up to the long L shape part of the house, and I saw what appeared to be a man, bulky shaped, staring at me out the window. No one lived there. So, I turned off the mower and ran in the house. The following week, I began to speak to the lady upstairs, and she said she had seen things too, but would not tell me what.

I contacted the landlord and told him I needed to speak to him. He came over and told me his dad walked out of the hardware store on the L part of the building and never went back again. He said his dad saw something upstairs that frightened him. He didn't know what his dad saw. I told him about the image I had seen in the upstairs window. He said that could be it. I told him about the woman I had seen and he gave me $50 to go research the property and see if "we" could find out who had owned the house before his dad.

We found that the first owners had been a husband and wife with three kids. They gave it over to a lady; searching death records, I found she died of a heart attack. I then called several people trying to find relatives of hers. I spoke to one woman, and she said the story goes that her great great great (something to that effect) grandmother had lived in the house, and the place used to be a funeral parlor. Her great great whatnot had washed the dead people's clothes before dressing them in their best outfits. That freaked me out. I also found out that the "hardware" plot of land used to be a barn that was just a stone's throw away from the "house," and that a man (worker) had hung himself in the rafters. So, that should be the man I saw in the window. The woman with the funeral parlor had to be the one I saw at the tub.

Also, I finally got some info out of the woman who lived upstairs. She would hear a boy crying at night, She had all girls and one grown boy. After a lot of research, I found out that a boy had been poisoned six years prior to our living there. I finally contacted the boy's mother, and she said that yes, her husband had poisoned their boy, why did I want to know? I told her. "He's still here." She hung up on me. But I did find out the boy was six years old.

So, these are some of my stories, not all. Wait until I tell you about the place I lived in that had monks! And I believe a devil cat! I will save those for another time.