Chapter 15

Carmen's POV

A few weeks passes as winter break finally approaches. Anne was courteous enough to give my mom and me a ride to the airport to catch a plane to Seattle. So, I squished in between my mom and Anne while Ashton was in between Harry and Lauren in the back. Every light we reached I would slightly hope it would be red and there would be a huge pile of traffic making the time our light was red, long. But, it's winter break. I always go to Bremerton for vacation.

Once we reach the airport we all hop out of the car. Anne, Ashton, Harry, and Lauren walked us to the gates. I hugged each of the kids and Anne before hugging Ashton. It was one of those hugs where neither of you want to let go but you know soon you'll have to. Ashton then pushed my hair behind my ear before moving in close and whispering.

"I love you." he says. I didn't know how to react so I just rested my head on his shoulder. He gave me a quick kiss before I had to leave.

Those three little words me so much. They're each really simple but that can mean so much. It's the little things we say in such little time, that end up being the introduction to something bigger. But they're extremely powerful and can mean so much even just saying them to food means so much. I don't even know if I'm ready to say them to someone again.

"Are you okay, sweetie?" my mom asks.

"Yeah, just tired." I explain before sitting down. I put my phone on airplane mode before doing everything in my power to fall asleep.

When I wake up I have three messages from Ashton. Well, it's really just one. It's just split off.

'Hey, baby, I'm sorry if I startled you when I said I loved you. I just thought it was the right time to say it. I understand if you're uncomfortable with saying it back. You don't have to say it back. I don't expect you to anyways. I got really scared when you didn't say it back. Just know that I really do love you and would do anything for you. Have safe flight. I love you.' His text read. My heart fluttered and butterflies attacked my stomach. I could feel my cheeks turning bright red.

"Viv!" my mom shouts as we find my aunt.

"Hey, how was the flight?" she asks.

"Great. Got some sleep at the very least." I say.

"Well, let's get going." Aunt Viv says before we start walking out of the airport. I feel the freezing cold Seattle breeze hit my face as we walk out. The only thought I have is damn it's probably warmer in San Diego.

After driving about an hour after leaving the airport, we get on a ferrie. I get out of the car and walk up to the top deck. I could see all of seattle on one side of the ferrie. On the other, the other islands. The breeze hitting my face is cool and crisp but oh so worth it. We're about to reach Bainbridge Island so I run downstairs back to the car. Another twenty minute drive before reaching the cabin. My mom and I immediately run inside. The air smelled like baked goods and lit candles. It was warmed by a lit fire place. I just felt like I was a little kid again.

"Well, it's great to see you guys made it. Where's Viv?" my grandma asks.

"Outside she's coming in though. Mom and I were just freezing so we ran in here." I explain.

"Where's Joy, David, and the kids?" my mom asks.

"They'll be in Monday. They got their tickets last week." my grandpa explains.

"Damn, I was hoping to make treats with all my cousins today." I say.

"You know we still can today. I mean we all need some cookies." my cousin Brad says.

"Nah, it'll be more fun making them with everyone over here." I say.

"Alright kids, go figure out sleeping situations for tonight and Sunday." Uncle Harvey says before all of us run upstairs.

We split between boys and girls since that's what we always do. Mali is the oldest girl so we had her and Calum on one facetime call. So to pick rooms, we flip a coin. The girls get one room and the guys get the other. Flipping of the coin is to choose who gets the room with the big T.V. but very little space and the room with a small T.V. but a great view of the lake.

"Mali, call it." Jonathan says as he flips the coin.

"Heads." she says. This trip is an argument over the room with the big T.V.

"It landed on tails."

"Yes!" Brad and Calum say.

We then started putting our stuff into the rooms to begin this year's Christmas trip.

Ashton's POV

"It's okay, sweetie, she'll be back soon." my mom says.

"It's not that it's just, when you're in a relationship how early would you use the L word?" I ask.

"I don't know sixish months. Why?" she asks as I notice worry fills her face as she examines my face. "Well, it's not too early for you guys. I mean you guys have been together for about three months?"

"Four."

"See, it's not that bad."

"Yeah, I guess. I just wish she said it back you know. So then I know if I really did say it at the right time." I explain.

"Give her some time. A guy before you broke her and now she doesn't remember how to actually say it again. You have to be the super glue that fixes her broken tea cup." my mom explains before we pull into the driveway of our house.

I look down at my phone to see if she's replied yet to my text and I've gotten nothing. Did I scare her? Did I say it at the wrong time? What did I do wrong? If only I knew if I said it at the right moment.

I walk over to our mailbox which hasn't been checked since Thursday and pull out a letter. A name I haven't heard or seen in so long is written on the top left corner. It makes me fear to read the letter of all things.

I toss the other mail on the kitchen counter and open the letter. My mind and heart start racing as I begin to read the letter.

Dearest Ashton,

It has been exactly five years since I last saw and or interacted with you. But I must inform you, I'm coming back. I'm coming back to San Diego so you can be happy and be with me. I'll get us an apartment and you can have some of your stuff with me. I miss who we used to be when we were younger. Can't wait to see you soon.

X-Rose.

The sight of her name burned my eyes. The thought of her long blonde hair flying in the wind while we went for long skate boarding rides prances around like a dancer in a studio. My mind is racing trying to come up with what to think or what to say. I must ignore it. Pretend I don't remember her. Something. I can't let Carmen find out about her. She'll get jealous and want to start a fight.

But how?

~~~Hey everyone, so yeah it's been a while but high school is taking up my schedule. Anyways I love you guys please remember to vote, share, and comment.