❦Septem- Ērogātum❦

The Alpha's Huntress
2014 © Luna Night

❦ Septem- Ērogātum ❦

Sara Steven's POV

Baby, please forgive me, the text read, I need you.

I scoffed. Yeah, you needed me so bad you had my cousin's legs spread open for you. I guess that makes me so pathetic you couldn't wait 'till I got from church to get my cousin as replacement.

She wasn't a replacement, they were cuddling. Naked. I laughed in pain. My hands tightened into fists; he could've left me, he could've broke up with me. Sure, it'd break my soul, he was my dearest only love, but being left is better than being ignorantly replaced.

"Ouch."

I gasped, crawling to turn around. In the dark shadows of my window's curtain, a tall, dark, and broad figure stood. The silhouette took the form of a powerful man, a beautiful man, a frightening man. Dimitri.

"I'm sorry," he said, "that must've hurt." He pointed at the text message.

I shrugged. "It didn't," I lied. Dimitri laughed at me, noticing the blunt lie. "It did. Very much. He meant..."

"I understand," he whispered, looking around my room. He crossed his buff arms, lost in his thoughts. "I had this pup, once... He died of depression." He looked at my horrified face and chuckled. "He didn't kill himself. Wolves die from depression, loneliness, instead of humane illnesses." I pouted, that's sad. "Anyways, this boy, rare but possible, had a human mate. We knew he'd die without her so we accommodated her into our world. She gained our trust... Point is, she cheated. And he withered to death, became nothing but a corpse, and in a few days he died."

She was human. She was a human. Of course she was. The human is capable of all evil; us, the true danger to the world. We kill for sport, we kill each other, we... We are humans.

"We fed her to our wild cousins." I'm going to guess his wild cousins are the wild wolves that can't be standing in human form today, like Dimitri is. "In my world, breaking your other half's soul is a bigger crime than murder itself."

I didn't know what to say. I was thinking, what is worse? To kill: kill the man that stole from you, kill under the psychotic chemical unbalance in your brain, kill for vengeance, kill for self defense, kill intentionally, or by accident. Or to break a heart: to no longer want the woman/man that gave their life to satisfy one's happiness, to beat the one who serves you like a slave, to verbally or physically abuse the woman or man who sacrificed all, to cheat to the woman/man that stood beside you in sickness and poverty with an un-loyal, untrustworthy nobody. What is worse? To kill intentionally? Or to break a soul that would drive one to kill?

"Why do you humans become incapable of love?" Dimitri asked me. For a moment I thought he meant it as a racist comment, as a mockery to our high rate of divorces and cheating and whatnot. But no, he was genuinely, so intensely curious as to why. Why can't we love, without creating of it such a painful experience. "I'm sorry, I didn't meant to offend-"

"It's okay," I whispered, wiping my tear away. "I think it's because we are selfish," I explained him, "we want love, we want hot sex, we want money, we want to be right, we want respect from our peers, we want the hottest person, we want what people would envy, we want the fancy and the elegant, we want approval... We are too selfish, to love anyone but us. We lower our standards and morals whilst trying to have the best from someone that is not perfect. We want everything in other words."

He pursed his lips, trying really hard to understand. He sat on the corner of my bed, Indian style, deep in thought. The Alpha King of wolves, sitting on my bed, thinking hard about why humans are just so goddamn cruel. He tried to make a reason of it, but there was none. "I'm sorry my kind exploited yours," I threw out there.