Chapter 11- The Deserter

Chapter 11 - The Deserter

I looked down at the clouds from below us as we soared into the sky. The soft breeze flew my hair in all directions. My tears have been dried up by the wind shortly after we flew up. I didn't look at any of them; not even said a word. I wanted to jump off of Appa and just get it over with. Even when I'm in my dream world, it just doesn't feel right to be stuck alone in this world when people would think I was crazy.

Yep, I'm living the dream. . .

"So, you gonna tell us, or are we gonna have to make you?" Katara spat. She hates me. I just know she does. With that look of disgust and disgrace, there'd be no way that she would forgive me anytime soon. Or anytime at all. . .

"Listen, Katara! Will you just give it a rest?! Do you know what I've been through?! Ha, of course you don't! You don't know how hard it is to let someone you love die and disappear from your eyes! Sure, you've lost your mother and I understand that, but losing your own brother by saying terrible things you wished you never said; I can't forgive myself for that!

"I said I hated him, and-and we were fighting non-stop. H-he got hit and he was dead instantly by my very own eyes! You don't know how hard, and difficult, and life threatening it has been for me! You don't know me at all, Katara, and you're treating me like I killed your mother! JUST STOP!!" I yelled. I groaned and screamed like my arm was pulled off by a shark. My tears leaked rapidly.

"I CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE!!!" I hollered as loud as I could. Aang, Katara, and Sokka grew ide in their eyes and gasped loud.

With my very last breath, I leaped off of Appa and into the warm air as I began to fall to my death. I closed my eyes as I heard screams and shouts of my name from above me. I ignored them. Goodbye, everyone. . .

I felt arms wrap around my waist and flew me back up on the flying bison. The person laid me down in their lap, and wrapped their arms around me in comfort.

"River, it's okay, it's alright. Let it out, just let it all out. You're safe with us, we're your friends. You don't have to worry about a thing with us, we have you protected and we won't hurt you. Sure we didn't know what was going on in your life, but it doesn't mean you should kill yourself, you have a family right here to love and protect you." Aang said with comforting words.

I wrapped my arms around him tighter and just cried in his chest. Aang was right about that, and I'll give him that. Aang was like a brother to me and I completely respect that of him. Sokka was like a cousin to me, and Katara was like that distant-third cousin removed twice from your mother's side that just won't understand and won't it let it go. Sokka put an arm around me like a comforting hug.

"Hey, don't cry, River. It's not your fault. Accidents happen. . . You still got me, Katara, and Aang, your like a cousin to us. We love you like our own." Sokka informed. I then let go of Appa and pulled Sokka into a big hug.

"That was the most deep thing you ever said, Sokka! You really can say nice things without any negativity or sarcasm!" I beamed. They're my home. But what about Katara? I finally pulled away from both of them and dried my tears with the back of my hand. I looked at Katara with a look of hopefulness. "Katara?" I said, wanting her to speak or something.

She huffed and turned her head away, sticking her head up high with her eyes closed like a spoiled brat. It angered me. "Well if that's how you feel about me, you might as well say something! Spit it out already, girl!" I yelled.

"ME, say something?! Oh, you still got a lot of explaining to do, missy! You wanna know how I feel? Well, I feel betrayed, used, and played with all this time! I knew should've have never trusted you in the first place!" she yelled.