Ayden

I've been spending a lot of time in the palace library, because I felt that I should do something that would get my mind off all the new drama that's happened lately. I walk up the winding staircase that leads to the entertainment floor and pass the indoor pool, gym, movie and music room, then open the doors on the right at the end of the long hallway.

The library is a pretty big room, and all the shelves are completely stocked with books of all different genres. All the walls are aligned with bookshelves, and in the middle of the room is a small maze of shelves stacked back to back, so every side shows books. I put the Dracula book back in the section it belongs and walk through the maze, looking for another. Soon I decide on the Phantom of the Opera, and make my way back to my room. At the rate I'm going, having nothing to do, I should be done with this book by tomorrow.

As I make my way down the winding staircase, through the kitchens, and up another set of stairs that split on either side, I run into Brooke. She is with a guard, as usual.

"Hey, long time no see," I tell her.

"Yeah, I've missed you."

"It's been what? three days?"

"Yeah, unless you count our first night, when you were in that cell all night."

"Yeah, we should probably make up for lost time. Want to go on a walk or something?"

"I wish I could, but I already have plans."

"Doing what?"

She is quite for a little too long, and I say, "It's got something to do with Stefan, doesn't it?"

"Yeah, sorry."

"It's ok." I don't tell her, but I know it isn't. All I've wanted since the day I met her was to have her all to myself, but now I have to compete with a mate who was basically made to love her, and her made to love him. I have four more days left here, until I am told I need to go home. That was the deal. Now I have to find a way to make a lasting impression on her and make sure she comes home with me, because if she stays here, it's the end for our relationship.

"No, I know it's upsetting you, and I'm sorry. I was on my way to your room to tell you actually, I don't want to leave any secrets between us, you know?"

"Yeah, you're right. And where did you get that flower?"

"Stefan gave it to me at the rose garden when I ran into him."

I can't help but let out a groan at that.

"He says it will be just dinner and talking."

"Yeah well, saying and doing are two different things."

"I promise, nothing will happen between us, he just wants to redo his first impression."

"I hope so, because it's pretty hard trying to compete with a man who looks like the perfecta Ken."

Brooke laughs at that, and I find myself letting loose a smile too. I've missed her smile and laugh, and the way it really reaches her eyes.

"You have nothing to worry about," she tells me. "I love you, remember?"

I can feel the guard eyeing us, but I don't care. "Yeah," I tell her. "I love you too." We hug, and tell each other we will see the other soon, and we make our way to our seperate rooms.

When I get to my room I took a good look around, which I haven't really done since I was given the space. It's a fairly small room, probably smaller than what everyone else has, but it has all the necesities. A bed, desk, closet, bathroom. I was grateful the room also happened to come with a window seat.

I sit in that corner and open the Phantom of the Opera book to the first chapter. I think this would be my fifth time reading it. It's not long until I find I can't pay attention to the story at all. I can't help but think of Brooke, and how she's with her mate, even if she reassured me we are still going strong, I am still reminded every day that I'm not wanted here.

When I get to the part in Phantom where Christine finds out about Erik, I decide to call it quits for the night. I'm tired, and there's really nothing else to do anyway. I hop into bed and turn off the lights, and that night I dreamt of magic and darkness.