Ayden

Not even a minute after I walk out of the forest, I hear a wolf howling, and I find myself smiling.

When I made it home, grandma was already sleeping. I walked to the bathroom to take a shower, brush my teeth, changed into my pjs and then went to my room to sleep. I found I couldn't really sleep at all. I stayed up in bed, thinking about Brooke and her "other self". Not that she scared me, she and her wolf both proved to me that they wouldn't hurt me, and I trust them. I eventually went to sleep around three in the morning, and when I finally got out of bed around ten, I found out grandma was already at work.

She's not a super old grandma that she's retired, she still has a lot of years left on her to work and enjoy life. She works as a dental hygenist, and she rarely ever gets the weekends off, so I spend a lot of time away from her.

I texted Brooke, asking if I could pick her up this time around.

Sure:) She responds. My family already know you're coming over later, too.

Do they know that I know about you?

No, but I'm going to tell them when you come over, not now, because then they probably won't let me go on the date with you.

Ok.

I put on some nice clothes because I'm taking her to a somewhat fancy restaurant, and when she tells me she's ready, I head on out to pick her up. I don't honk or call when I get to her house, I walk up to the door, take her by the hand and walk her back to my car. I opened the passenger side door to let her in, shut the door behind her, and got into the drivers seat. We talk about a lot of things, but not about her.

When we get to the restuarant, we grab a table for two, and she orders her medium rare steak and I order it in medium. The waitress came back with our water, and it was a good fourty five minutes until we got out food, so we spent a lot of time talking about her, without saying werewolf because we were in public. We just referred to Luna as Brookes twin.

She ended up loving the steak, which made me happy. It took us only about thirty minutes to eat our food (I ordered them both in large). I was always a fast eater, and I figured she ate quickly because she's feeding two.

After the lunch, we had some time to kill before we had to make our way to her house for dinner with her family. We just drove around town, never really stopping anywhere or getting out of the car. Since we were in the safety of my car with the windows rolled up, and no one would be able to hear us, we started talking more about her werewolf side. I asked a lot of questions, like, why it is that they are all percieved as monsters when clearly not all of them are.

"Well," she began, "it all depends on the phase of the moon. The moon can represent both light and dark. When the moon is full, we can still control ourselves. When the moon turns new, and it is completely blotted out of the sky, that's when we have to turn, no matter what, and sometimes we don't have good intentions, though some of us don't mean to be so scary."

"What about when it turns half way? What happens with the whole light and dark thing?"

"When it's at first or third quarter, then yeah, the dark and light are met halfway. At first quarter, the bad is invaded by the good, just as the light is meeting the dark in the moon. At third quarter, the good is being invaded by the bad, and light is met halfway by darkness."

"That has to be confusing, when it's halfway, either quarter."

"Yes, we can just as easily turn bad, just as we can find a way to fend it off longer if we wanted to. It can just be a lot of work sometimes. Our wolf is meant to be a lot like our human selves, so if we are naturally  good then so are they, but sometimes our wild animal side comes out."

"Makes sense."

"Yeah, but enough about me. What about you? I mean, I know you live with your grandma, but what else should I know about you?"

I take in a breath, then tell her about how my mom died when I was eight, and that my dad was too messed up to be able to take care of me properly.

"Oh, I'm sorry," she tells me.

"Don't be, it's not your fault."

I look at the screan in my car that tells the time and what radio station is playing, and see that it's almost six twenty.

"Well," I tell her, "I think it's about time to head to your house."

"I guess so," she says.

I turn my car around and started heading in to the opposite direction, taking my car around the front the way I did when I picked her up. I park the car in the driveway, and help her out of the passenger side door, and together we make our way to her front door.