5) Brooke

The door opens and the first thing I notice is the big smile on Ayden's face.

"Hi," he says, still holding his smile.

"Hey," I say, smiling back (which wasn't at all fake).

He then embraces me with a hug before saying, "Come on in." while holding the door open for me.

I walk in to a big spaced single story home. I look down and smoothe out my dress.

"Don't be nervous, you look beautiful," Ayden leans in to whisper.

"Oh, thanks," I whisper back.

"Is she here?" Someone in another room, maybe the kitchen, asks.

"That's my grandma, don't worry, she'll love you. She loves everyone." He hooks his arm around mine and leads me in to the kitchen. "She's here grandma."

"Oh good. Hello dearie."

"Hi there, it's nice to meet you," I tell her.

"The pleasure is all mine. I've heard so many good things about you," she says, hugging me.

I hug her back, feeling really happy. Maybe it was because Ayden has been talking about me to his grandma or because of all the hugs, either way I'm getting a good vibe off this little bunch and it's making me feel calm.

I hope it's just because they're being nice to you,

Oh stop worrying. I think you're forgetting what it's like to just be nice, Luna.

Well I think you're forgetting who you are. No, what you are.

I'm not!

Just get through tonight, and don't give anything away.

Alright, and I won't.

I take the chair in between the other two places set up around the table so Ayden and his grandma can both sit next to me. I figure they both want to get to know me more, too.

"So, Brooke, how are you liking your new school?" Ayden's grandma asks.

"It's going alright. I wish the teacher would teach us more in history besides the Holocaust though. I've been learning that stuff for years now."

"My boy feels the same way."

"Yes I do," Ayden says.

"Have you been making any good friends?" his grandma asks.

"Well, Ms. Hunter-"

"Please, call me grandma."

"Ok, grandma. I've made some friends, yes. There's Ty, and Pete, and Ayden of course."

I see him smile from my peripheral vision, and feel him lightly brush his hand against mine, and I take his hand in mine, not turning my eyes from grandma.

"What about girls?"

I suddenly think of Amanda.

"Well, I find it's easier to just befriend guys because most girls come with too much drama. I mean, some area nice, like this one girl in my math class. We sit next to each other and talk but I wouldn't really consider us friends."

"Oh, ok. You know, Brooke, I'm really glad my boy found you for a friend. The lord knows he could use more of those."

I look at Ayden and see his face turning a light pink. But looking back at his grandma I see her wink, so I know she didn't meen anything rude by it.

"The food is really good, thank you."

"Oh no problem, darling. Even if you haven't eaten much, I'm glad you like it."

I quickly dig in to my rice and chicken, and smile at her. She smiled back.

What did I say? She's on to us!

Oh please, she doesn't know anything, neither of them do. I smile at her in between bites, to let her believe the food is good, and something I actually eat myself.

When I have finished the last of the food, I notice grandma was wrapping things up.

"I'm glad you could make it tonight, Brooke. It was nice getting to know you some more."

"I enjoyed getting to know you too."

She hugs me once more while Ayden walks me to the door.

"Thank you for tonight. It meant a lot to her," he said.

"And you? Did it mean anything to you?"

"It meant everything to me. Thanks."

I smile and hug him goodbye, and he lightly gave me a peck on the cheek.

"See you Monday," he says.

"Yeah, see you Monday."

Then I walk out the door and in to the night.