Ayden

The rest of the school day was a drag. All I could think about was the new girl Brooke, and hoping she would choose me over Pete. Is it so selfish to think that way? I wondered to myself. Well, Brooke is entitled to like whoever she wants, I just really hope its me.

"Ayden?"

Whoa, what? " Yeah, what's up?" I say.

"Pick from the  hat for your topic to look up for your project," Mr. Blunt says.

I quickly swish my hand around in the hat and pull something out. The Holocaust. Great, I guess. This subject is pretty simple just as it is sad, because everyone has known about this tragedy since the eighth grade.

The bell rings, signaling the end of the day and everyone gets up to leave.

"I want your three page typed report on my desk next Tuesday. Anyone who doesn't have it in to me by at least 4:30pm that day will get an automatic zero. The fact that I even extend the deadline out of the class period should be a blessing within itself. Have a great day."

And with that, I head home.

I was really hoping to avoid Pete on my way home because I knew all he ever talks about is how much he likes a girl at the moment. That or how high he got over the weekend. To be honest I didn't feel like listening to him drone on and on about either subject. Not just because I may finally like the same girl he does, but because it's always the same with him. His rank of how hot she is to him followed by how long he thinks it will take before he can get her in bed. What ever happened to the skanks he always liked? Why does it have to be someone who seems like a good girl now? He will probably ruin her at this school and I'll be damned if I let that happen to her.

"Hey man, wait up!"

Oh, great. I can hear Pete already. I turn around and see him slowing down from his run to catch up to me.

"Man I yelled your name like ten times!"

"Sorry," I say.

"It's alright. So, what do you think of the new girl?"

Oh God, why does he have to get so obsessed?

"She's nice. What do you think?"

"I think I want her."

Of course he does. At least he's honest about what he wants. After I'm quite for a whole minute he asks, "You don't mind do you?"

Yes I do! "No," I say.

Now we've made it to my street where we part. I turn left and he keeps going.

"So, see you tomorrow then," he says, turning around.

"Yeah ok," I say and keep walking. Now I'm just dreading tomorrow.

"Hey kiddo," my grandma. She took me in because my mom died when I was eight and my dad was too unfit to keep me. Yeah, I know, it's sad.

"Hey gramma," I say, giving her a hug and kissing her cheeck.

"How was your day?"

"There was a new girl in my first period class."

"Oh yeah? Did you introduce yourself?"

"Yeah, I figured out we have lunch together every day and third and fourth period a days and first period b days. She sat with my group for lunch. I think Pete already called dibs on her."

"Oh, whatever. Don't worry about him, if she likes you she'll let you know. Why don't you invite her over for dinner Friday?"

"Gram, we just met. That might be a little awkward."

"So spend the rest of the week getting to know her and ask her to come over Thursday. I mean, you like her don't you?"

That's my gramma, she knows everything. "Yeah, ok," I tell her.