Chapter 18

"This is Jarrod McKinney. He shot himself in the head but we were able to revive him in the paramedic truck." It was one of those rare situations where the bullet didn't do much damage. 

The doctors rushed and prepared themselves to start the surgery. 

"Where's his family?" A doctor asked. "His wife is in the ICU, She suffered some serious blows and a broken nose." 

"Damn." One of the doctors said. 

I could hear everything that was going on but I couldn't respond. I couldn't move. I shot myself and survived. Now I'm going to have to live with this burden on my heart for the rest of my life. I know I'm going to jail after this...I just know it. 

"Are you China McKinney?" A doctor came up to me and asked.

"Yes..."

"Wife of Jarrod McKinney?"

"...Yes" I said, trying to avoid tears.

"You're husband is in the CCU. He survived the shooting. He's went into surgery this morning."

I covered my mouth in disbelief. I looked over at Tyrone who had stayed the night with me at the hospital. Tears started falling from my eyes rapidly.

"How bad is it Doc?" Tyrone asked.

"It's pretty bad, but he's going to make it. He may have some memory loss, but we're hoping for the best."

This was a nightmare and a miracle all in one. I shook my head and layed back down. I had to say a silent prayer to myself.

Dear God, I know that Jarrod has put me through some things these pasy 6 years lord but I ask that you help him make it and help him recover quickly. I pray that no damage is done. Lord I pray that this is an eye opener for Jarrod. Help him to change his ways, and Lord thank you for keeping him alive...Amen.

"We're releasing you today China, bot you need to stay in bed. You've suffered major head trama and a broken nose." The doctor told me.

"I'll take good care of her, thank you Doc." Tyrone said.

Its been a week since I've been in the hospital. Jarrods mom came and got the kids. She went crazy when she found out what Jarrod did to himself. I told her that he was going to make it and that we just needed to pray for him. I could have sworn he was dead when he passed out in my arms. God is good...

I fell into depression. I was staying at Tyrone's for the time being and all I did was sleep. I didn't eat, I didn't interact with him it was pretty sad. I couldn't stop thinking about that evening. It was surreal. 

"China, I called the hospital, they said Jarrod can have visitors now. Do you want to go see him?"

I nodded my head. Maybe going to see him would give me some closure. 

"We're here to see Tyrone McKinney." Tyrone said.

"He's in room 301." The nurse said. 

"Thanks."

I got more and more nervous when as we got clsoer to his room. I looked terrible. I had on a pair of baggy sweats, a hoodie, and my hair was in a messy bun. I would never come out of the housing looking like this. Depression had really taken a toll on me,

KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK.

"Come in.." Jarrod said. His facce was turned to the window.

My heart skipped a beat when I saw Jarrod attatched to so many wires. His head was wrapped in a bandage and he looked pale. I wanted to yell at him and embrace him at the same time. Jarrod beat me and almost killed me! 

I walked over to him and handed him a get well soon balloon.

"China?" He asked, as he sat up in the hospital bed. "Oh hell nah, what is this nigga doin here?" 

"Jarrod you need to calm down." Were the first words I've said in almost a week.

"What is he doing here?" He asked.

"Jarrod I have nothing againts you bro. It's petty that you're still on that past shit. It's over. I've moved on with my life. You need to do the same."

"Hold up man! Don't come up in here tryna tell me how to live MY life!" 

"Jarrod, you need to calm down. You're lucky you're even still alive. You almost didn't make it." I said as I bit down on my tongue. 

Jarrod didn't say anything. He turned his back to us and back at the window.

"I'm sorry China..." I heard him say.

"What was that?" I asked him to make sure I was hearing clearly.

"I'm SORRY...and you should'nt have to put up with a man like me..."

I didn't say anothing. I wanted to bring up getting a divorce but I felt like it was too soon. Seeing what he was going through right now. We stayed at the hospital for about 10 more minutes. I had a lot to say to Jarrod but I just coulnd't bring myself to say anything. I couldn't deal with it anymore. I knew Jarrod was going down for what he did. Lord knows how long he would be locked up. I just couldn't live that life style anymore. It was time to start looking into filing for a divorce.