Chapter 24

There were so many familiar faces in my home. Lots of actors and actresses. None with really big names, but this was just the beginning. Everybody was pool side with my book in one had and a glass of champagne or wine in the other. People were conversing with eachother, laughing, and reading. This was crazy, all of this for me? I had Jen to thank. She takes her job very seriously and I like that about her. She made this all happen. 

"China!" Jen said as she waved me down.

"Whats wrong Jen?" I asked her as I poured myself a glass.

"Girl, everything is going great! But you need to go out there and mingle! This is about your book, but there wouldn't be any book if it wasn't for you right?"

Jen was right. I just had a lot on my mind. From Jarrod trying to come back into my life, to Tyrone going back to Miami.

I walked outside and started to introduce myself to people. I didn't see Tyrone anywhere around and I assumed that he was either upstairs resting for his trip back to Miami tomorrow, or with the kids. Everybody seemed very friendly. There was one person in perticular who caught my eye and grabbed my attention. His name was Richard Jackson. He was an up and coming writer like myself.  Richard was a very attractive man. It didn't dawn on me until he said it. He resembled Troy Polamalu, but with darker skin. He had long hair, smoothe skin, and a built frame. 

"So where are you from originally Richard?" I asked him as I took a sip of my champagne.

"I'm from Hawaii." He said to me as he smiled.

"Must have been nice to grow up there huh?" I asked him.

"Yeah it's nice. The beach life style. But after a while it gets boring. I had to come out here to get the best of both worlds you know?"

I nodded.

"So do you know how to surf?" I asked him

He started laughing, but I was very serious. I've always wanted to lean how to surf. Just as he was about to answer me I heard commotion coming from near the back house. I turned and saw Tyrone and Shanice yelling back and fourth at eachother. This was not happening right now. Who the hell told her to come here?

Everybody turned their attention to the chaos.

"You need to get the fuck out of here Shanice. I wouldn't have told you to come if I knew this is what you were going to do."

Shanice had tears in her eyes and she was tugging on Tyrones clothes. He was trying his hardest to get her off of him but she had a strong hold onto him.

"Tyrone, please! What we had was special! Don't do this to me baby!"

"Shanice you're sick! Now stop making a scene!" 

When Tyrone realized that all eyes were on him you could see the wave of embarassment on his face. Richard walked over to them and tried to pull Shanice off of Tyrone. I stood there in shock. I took a sip of my champagne and walked over.

"Tyrone. What is she doing here?" I asked him as I watched Richard try to calm her down.

"You stupid bitch!" I heard Shanice scream.

I turned my head and I walked over to her.

"Look, I don't know what posessed you to even think it was okay to bring your tacky ass up in my house, but I am going to kindly ass you to dismiss yourself before you fuck up my event even more." I said in my lowest tone possible to avoid adding flames.

"Tyrone invited me and this isn't your house bitch, your name is not on the lease" She screamed at me.

I turned my head to Tyrone and waited for a response. He said nothing. He stood there looking pittyful. 

"Tyrone...I'm not even going to question you right now. I just need you to get her out of my house right now. You get out too." I turned my back on him and I saw Richard escorting Shanice to the door.

I turned and walked into the bathroom in the kitchen. I stared at myself in the mirror. I couldn't believe this shit. When I finally got out of the bathroom Tyrone was out of sight and I prayed that he was not here at all. Jen was outside apologizing to everybody and trying to get the party back together. I looked around for Richard. I felt terrible for what had just happened. Especially since it happened in the middle of our conversation. I kept looking and I saw him sitting at the bar by himself talking to the bartender we hired for the night. I walked over to him and sat on the barstool next to him.

He turned towards me and smiled. Butterflies filled my stomach. That was weird.

"I'm so sorry about that Richard..." I said looking deep into his green eyes.

"Don't worry about it." He said.

"So...do you know how to surf?" I smiled, trying to break the tension.

Richard started laughing.

"Yeah..I know how to surf..do you?" He asked me.

"No...but I would love to learn." I said.

"Well..." Richard slid me his book. "I've got to get going now, but would you give me your autograph...and your number?" He asked as he smiled at me.

I looked up at him. 

"Maybe we could hit the beach..and I can show you how to surf..." He made clear.

I took out my pen and scribbled my autograph and wrote my number down in his book clearly. 

"It was nice meeting you China.." He stood up and his 6'5 frame towered over me. He picked up my hand and kissed the back of it. The butterflies were back. Just like that he was gone.

12:30am hit, the event was over hours ago. Tyrone was still nowhere to be found. His flight was at 5:30 and he wasnt even finished packing. I was drifting off to sleep when I felt him getting into bed. He smelled like alcohol. I pretended to be fast alseep. I was exhausted and annoyed. I couldn't believe that he brought Shanice here in the first place. What was he thinking.

"I'm sorry China...and I know you're not sleep." He said to me. He tried to wrap his arm around me but I didn't want him to touch me.

"What were you thinking?" I said to him.

"I said I was sorry...damn. I didn't think all this would happen."

"Why would you even bring here here Tyrone?"

"I wasn't thinking.." He said.

"No shit."

The car ride to the airport was silent until we got there. I hadn't spoken to Tyrone either. He tried to talk to me but I ignored him. I showered, got myself and the kids dressed, and waited for him in the rental. 

"China I said I was sorry." He said as he got out of the car and checked his bags.

"Okay." I said. "Let me know when you get there."

"China don't do this." Tyrone said to me.

"Tyrone...When I feel better about the situation we will talk. Until then, have a good flight." He tried to reach in and hug me but I just grabbed the key from him and sped off. 

Tears burned my face. Everything was falling apart. My first book signing event was a fail, Tyrone was leaving, Jarrod wanted me back. This felt like a bad dream. If it's not one thing it's another.