Chapter 6

I woke up the next morning to Jarrod still laying in bed. He was still in pain. I went downstairs and Maria our nanny was there. Maria had been Jarrods nanny ever since he was an infant. She knew that Jarrod was one of the biggest dealers down south. She watched him grow up, and she had Jarrod's back through anything. There had been times when some rivals tried to get her to rat him out, but she knew that game. She wasn't stupid. Jarrod was like her second son, she was like his second mother. 

"Hola Chica." She said as she continued to put away the kids toys that were left in the family room. "Goodmorning Maria, how are you doing this morning?" I asked her.

"Muy buena!" She said back to me.

"Thats good, well Jarrod isn't feeling to well and I have to make a few runs today so will you please make breakfast for him and after you can leave."

"Sure China. Where are my munchkins?" She asked me. 

"Their in Atlanta with their grandmother, they will be back later tonight." 

"Aw, Okay." She said to me with a smile on her face. Maria walked into the kitchen and prepared breakfast for Jarrod. I went into our home office and sat at the desk. Drafts for my book were scattered everywhere. I held up my binder that had my final draft and kissed it. "It's time I start doing things for me own." I said to myself as I started to read over my book for the 100th time. 

"CHINA! Breakfast is readyyyy!" I heard Maria call out to me. As I got up, my phone started to ring. I picked up on the second ring.

"Goodmorning." I answered. 

"Good morning beautiful." 

The voice sounded familiar but I didn't comprehend. I looked at the caller I.D and of course, 'TYRONE BLACK' appeared. 

"Hey Tyrone, I almost didn't recognize your voice." 

"Ha ha, well I'm going to have to change that..." I gave a nervous laugh. Was Tyrone flirting with me? I said trying to avoid blushing. "So we still on or what?" 

"Still on for.....?" I questioned. "Damn." He said. "Me...you...coffee...this morning.." He started to say. "OH GOSH. Tyrone I'm so sorry, I almost forgot. What time again?" "10:30?" He asked me. "I'll see you then."

I walked into the kitchen and Maria had prepared french toast, scrambled eggs, hash browns, and a strawberry mango smoothie. She put it on a mini table for Jarrod and I brought it up to him. 

When I reached the room Jarrod was laying up in bed texting. "Good morning baby." I walked over to him and placed the breakfast on his lap. "How are you feeling?"

"I'm better." He said attempting to cut up his french toast. I took the knife out of his hand and did it for him. "I'm meeting up with the editor in a few, Maria is downstairs cleaning up, do you want me to call your mom so she can keep an eye on you while I'm gone or will you be good?" 

"Now why would I do that China? You know moms doesn't approve of my job. I don't even want her to know that I was shot. I'll be good, and whats all this talk about 'the editor' I've been hearing about lately"Jarrod mocked me.

"Jarrod you know I'm working on my book. He's just helping me get everything together before I release it to the public." 

"He?" Jarrod looked up and frowned. "Yes Jarrod, HE!" 

"Does HE, know you're happily married with children?" Jarrod scolded me. "Yes Jarrod, he is happily married with children too, let me know when you make your point." I rolled my eyes. 

"My POINT is, I don't want not sneaky ass niggas around my girl. I don't want no niggas tryin to get at you. I don't want no niggas around you...PERIOD." 

"So you're going to keep me in a hole like you've always done Jarrod? I don't remember the last time I've seen any of my friends. I've been here catering to your every need, being your ride or die chick, covering for you, risking my life, and Jarrod don't act like I don't know the ins and outs of the game. I was raised in the hood, I've seen it all and I've witnessed it all. I've been living under you for the past 5 years. I'm tired of it. I'm trying to go out there and make something of my life and I can't even get a little bit of approval from you. I'm grown Jarrod. I love you from the bottom of my heart but you bug the hell out of me with this. Am I not a good wife and mother? Haven't I always been faithful to you?" 

Jarrod didn't even look like he was paying attention to me. He continued eating his breakfast. 

"Forget you Jarrod, from now on I'm doing my own thing, whether you like it or not."

"China you done lost yo mind! Do you not know who I am? I am JARROD MCKINNEY!" He said with so much pride and arrogance. "The South is damn near my territory. I run this. There's so many lames out there who are steady trying to take my title, put me down, kill me and my family. I will not let that happen! This is why I have you in a "hole". 

"Jarrod, all you care about is yourself, money, the game, and sex, it's time for you to grow the fck up, be a man and take responsibilities. You're not 19 anymore Jarrod. You're not stupid either, if you knew what was best for you, you would give up this 'drug lord' act and try to be a real man. I'm tired of always having to send the kids to Atlanta because I'm scared that something may happen to them because you want to be big and bad. This has to stop somewhere Jarrod."

"Get the fck out my face China, don't bring yo ass back here either, you go have your meeting with mystery man, just don't bring yo trifflin ass back here. I try to take yo ass out the hood and this is the thanks I get." With that said I was done. How DARE he disrespect me like that. My face felt hot as I tried so hard to stop myself from crying. I walked into our closet, picked out a long yellow sundress from BCBG, some sandals, and a floppy hat. I tried to avoid eye contact with Jarrod, but I could feel him watching my every move. "Close the door will you?" He said to me as I exited and made my way to the guest bedroom. 

"Is everything okay chica?" Maria asked me. "I'm fine." I said wiping a tear that finally fell from my eye. 

I took my shower, cried long and hard. When I was finished I got dressed, through on my Gucci shades, got into my White Range and texted Tyrone.

// Hey, which coffee spot do you want to meet at? -China

/// T.B Coffee Co. in South Beach.

// See you then. - China

I used to love coming to this coffee spot when I was a teen. Before I met Jarrod my girls and I used to go there to get coffee, eat pastries, and check out the cute guys. I hadn't been back since.