Chapter Eleven, Part Two - The City and New Friends

part two.

- - -

Point of view, Ivy.

- - -

"Come on, baaaaby!"

No, I wasn't talking to Zayn. 

Gus lept around our feet, excited and happy probably to finally be out of that store. Zayn smirked as I tugged his leash ahead. He bound forward, and soon he was leading the way, dragging me behind. 

"Uh, Zayn?" I called. "I don't know where I'm going."

"Oh, yeah," I heard him say behind me. In a few strides he was next to me. Already on the phone with Liam, he started instructing me down the street. It was weird - a quick turn around a corner and men. Big men, and everywhere. One down the sidewalk ahead of us, one following way behind. There were two across the street, and one tagging along pretty close to us. Zayn noticed me staring, and said, "Bodyguards."

Oh. The whole "famous" thing was extremely foreign. The last time I saw Zayn... Yeah, he was on the X Factor. But it wasn't this crazy. Gus jumped and ran ahead of us, so I focused on keeping up with him. But there were distractions - like the fact everyone we walked by turned to stare, wave, or -

"ZAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYNNNNNNNNN!!!!"

- scream.

"Boy," I shook my head. "Life of the celebrity." Zayn smirked. Hanging up with Liam, he knudged me around another corner. 

"So... how've you been?"

I gave him a flat, sort of annoyed stare. "Really, Zayn?" I said dully. 

Zayn looked just as annoyed at my responce. "Just starting a conversation," he said. After a breif silence, he sighed. "Ivy, we can't act like this -"

"Like what, Zayn!?" I had my eyes on Gus, and kept my voice low but serious. "Like none of this ever happened!? Like we're just old friends, like what you did didn't happen, like -"

"God, Ivy, forget it," Zayn said. "Forget it." And then it was back to the way it was at the apartment this morning - hostile and awkward.

I almost cheered when I saw - well, heard - the boys ahead of us. They were goofing off in a courtyard-ish area. Louis waved us over, and we introduced them to our new friend.

"This is Gus," I said, scooping up the puppy.

"Gus?" Niall laughed.

"His choice," I said. Zayn sighed. We made quick eye contact, then looked away. I noticed a blonde standing next to Harry, holding onto a squealing little girl. It didn't take me long to recognize her.

"Lou!" I smiled. She turned and grinned, handing off the little girl to Harry to hug me. 

"How are you, sweets?" Lou said cheerfully. "Still looking as beautiful as always."

"Same to you!" I replied. Her wavy, white locks were piled onto her head, and dark sunglasses shaded her eyes. A jade green, peterpan-colored shirt hugged her torso and her legs poked out of a distressed pair of  black shorts. She was black combat boots, red lipstick lining her smile, and pearls gleaming from her ears. Lou Teasdale had to be one of the prettiest girls I had ever known.

"Oh, and this is my baby girl, Lux." Smiling just like her mom, Lux was beautiful and tugging on Harry's hair. I went over to Lux and Harry as Lou went on to embrace Zayn. I watched him sigh as she whispered something to him, a soft smile forming on his lips.