After School Special

CHAPTER 68: AFTER SCHOOL SPECIAL

Mystic Falls High School

The death of Carol Lockwood came as a shock, and it was called an accident by every person who had given their condolences to her son, saying they were sorry about the accident. Of course, with Tyler's rage issues, the fact that they covered up her murder didn't make him feel any better, simply portraying her a drunk who stumbled into a fountain and couldn't manage to get herself up.

Of course, as she was the mayor, it was mandatory for the students of the high school to attend her memorial, and everyone showed up. Well, everyone except for Stefan, who she had checked in on a few times, but he was just drunk.

"Carol Lockwood always said that togetherness in times of tragedy leads to healing, that one community is stronger than a thousand of its members. But how does a community stay strong after losing its leader? And Carol was so much more than a leader; she was an open-minded friend and a concerned mother, taken from us too soon by a terrible accident," Sheriff Forbes spoke from a podium, pissing Tyler off as he left, still not okay with it. "Please join me in observing a minute silence in her memory."

Natalie, who was sitting between Bonnie and Elena, turned to her sister, who had a frown on her face as she looked to the side. "Elena? Are you okay?"

"Be right back." the doppelganger informed her, being the second part of the gang that didn't stay throughout the whole memorial assembly.

The moment wasn't as silent for the twins as the Sheriff would have liked, but she didn't notice at least. "Thank you so much. In the wake of this tragedy, the town has selected an interim mayor. Many of you may already know him. Please welcome Mr. Rudy Hopkins."

A man, who Natalie recognized to be Bonnie's father from the one time he'd been home the previous summer and the huntress had visited the witch. "Thank you so much, Sheriff. Carol Lockwood put this town first. That's why I'm here to talk to you guys. You folks are the future of Mystic Falls..."

▹▹▹

After that boring speech that was just the cheesy take care of yourselves, don't drink, she was the best blah blah blah Natalie had decided to once again check in on the seemingly spiraling Salvatore vampire who kept drowning his sorrows in alcohol, only to discover they knew how to swim.

"I don't if you know the definition of mandatory, as in the mandatory school assembly that happened to not be here for." the brunette spoke over the phone, leaning against the wall as she heard him sigh at her.

"Well, that's because I'm at a mandatory all-day drinking party." he spoke through the phone, sounding very tired and just over the whole doing things with your currently immortal life kind of thing.

"Okay, I'm getting worried. Is this how you usually start one of your ripper benders because I'm so not up for repeating what happened last time, that messed me up and you know it." she scrunched her nose up at the thought of what had happened during his no-humanity time, including the death of Scott and a whole lot of I hate you, I love you.

He hummed in agreement, but she could practically feel how uncomfortable he was at the thought of his last trip out to the edge, where he almost fell off, but someone pulled him back up. "My brother slept with Elena. It kinda puts a damper on things."

She groaned, feeling as if it was her fault, as usual, that he was being so weird and gloomy when she knew that he wanted nothing more than to be happy again. "Sometimes I wonder if I shouldn't have told you."

She heard him take another sip of his drink before letting out a breath. "No, I'm grateful you told me, Natalie. I don't know if either of them were ever going to, so I'm glad you're brave enough to, even if they could be pissed off."