Under Control

CHAPTER 10: UNDER CONTROL

(A/N: This chapter is dedicated to the people who commented on the last part. You guys really make me much more confident about my writing, and knowing someone out there enjoys my story makes me so much more inspired. So, thank you guys.)

Somewhere

Natalie POV

Somehow a few people can be so unobservant that no matter what happens they keep making the same mistakes. That's something I never understood. If people do something stupid, then they find out that it was stupid and stop themselves from making the same mistakes. I always thought I'd be one of those who'd learn from whatever they'd done.

Turns out that's not going to happen.

Because for some reason... I was still taking random walks without knowing where I was going. It doesn't matter that I almost died last time.

I'm such a genius. Note the sarcasm.

Turns out I also need a hearing test. Because, for some reason, I couldn't hear the footsteps approaching me.

I only realized it when I felt a hand on my shoulder.

So I flipped him over at the same time as I pulled out a knife from my pocket. I quickly held it against the throat of the invader of my personal space.

"Ow!" Stefan groaned as I held him down.

"Stefan?" I gasped to myself. "What the hell are you doing here?"

"Seeing if you were okay..." he trailed off.

My facial expression immediately went sour. "I can take care of myself."

"Didn't seem like that when we got kidnapped." Stefan retorted, and I still held the knife at his throat.

"You did not just go there!" I glared at him.

He could say a lot of things and I wouldn't care. But bringing up moments of weakness, moments where I couldn't protect myself... that was going over the line.

"If you let me get up, I'll apologize." Stefan said,

I rolled my eyes and took the knife off of his throat before grabbing his hand and helping him up.

"Thanks." Stefan brushed the dust off his jacket.

"That was not what you were going to say." I gave him a sour smile.

"I'm sorry for bringing the whole kidnapping situation up." Stefan said guiltily.

"Thanks, but I don't forgive you." I crossed my arms over my chest.

Stefan's eyes widened in disbelief. "Why not?!"

"Because you brought it up! I hate feeling like the helpless victim. I'm not one of those girls. I'm not some girly girl who can't defend herself!" I snapped.

"What kind of girl are you?" Stefan raised an eyebrow.

"Tougher than that." I smiled.

"I can believe that." he stared before his gaze traveled down to my cheek.

"Ehm, you've got something..." he trailed off.

"Oh." I took my hand up to brush on my cheek. "Is it gone?"

"No, I'll do it." he brought his hand up on my cheekbone and brushed it away.

"Thanks." I stared into his eyes.

His posture suddenly went stiff as his breathing got ragged as he clasped his hands together, tightly.

"Are you okay?" I asked worriedly.