Fool Me Once

CHAPTER 6: FOOL ME ONCE

The Mystic Grill

Natalie POV

I was walking in the door, because I can. Then I bumped into some guy.

"Sorry." I said and I looked up to see Jeremy.

"Oh, hey Natalie." he said.

"Hi." I said.

"What are you doing here?" he asked.

I shrugged. "Well, pretty much everyone comes here at least once a day, so I decided that I'd do it now."

"Hmm, that's smart. I guess." he said with a tilt of his head.

"See you." I said and walked away.

"Yeah, see you." he said.

▹▹▹

After a while of doing nothing I was bored enough to sit down with Jeremy.

"Hey." he said. "Hi, Jeremy." I said.

"Why are you sitting here?" he asked.

I shrugged. "You're pretty much the only one here that I know."

"That's sad." Jeremy said.

"I know, right." I said and then this blonde girl called out "Hey, Jeremy."

She walked up in front of us. "Where is Elena? I have been texting her and Bonnie all day about Duke's party." she said.

"She went somewhere with Stefan." Jeremy answered.

The girl sighed. "I'm so not gonna be one of those girls who disappears just because she has a new boyfriend." she said.

"Good for you." I said.

"Thank you..." she trailed off. "Natalie." I finished for her.

"Well, Natalie, I'm Caroline." she said.

"Who is Duke?" Jeremy asked interrupting our introduction.

"Some guy that graduated a couple years ago. And he throws a party every time he comes home from Duke." Caroline explained.

"Duke?" I asked quietly and sadly, that being where my mother went to school.

"Wait, Duke goes to Duke?" Jeremy asked.

"His real name's Bob or something. He's a total ass, but he buys the beer. You know, you two should come." Caroline said.

"I don't think so." I said. "Me neither." Jeremy said.

"No, seriously! Everyone goes. Even quiet, loner little brothers and mysterious new girls." Caroline said giving me a look.

"I can't because my dad'll kill me. Literally." I said.

"Think about it." Caroline said looking between us before walking after a blonde boy.

"I gotta go." I told Jeremy as my dad texted me. "Bye." he said and I waved before walking away.

▹▹▹

"Hey, Dad..." I trailed off with a nervous smile, knowing he wouldn't really let me go. "So... we have to talk."

"What did Jenna tell you?" Dad asked immediately as he turned his head towards me.

"Wha- why? What would Jenna tell me?" I asked with wide eyes. I mean, I knew he was hiding something from me, but I never thought he'd tell Jenna before me.