Do Not Go Gentle

CHAPTER 56: DO NOT GO GENTLE

Mystic Falls High School

Stefan and Natalie. Natalie and Stefan. Salvatore and Saltzman. Saltzman and Salvatore. However you may refer to them, you know that they cared for each other, even if you'd want to deny them loving one another. The care that they felt for one another was the reason they didn't fix whatever was going on after their last kiss. They cared their friendship, their relationship, but most of all, the way the other felt was always going to be more important than them being on good terms. With nobody knowing what cataghory Elena and Kol might be for them, they didn't want to jump into something that could so easily hurt either or both of them.

But that didn't mean that at least one of them didn't feel guilt because of what was going on. You can probably say that Stefan being the obvious choice for that was easy to see, with Kol not mattering at all to him and Elena acting out with Damon. So Natalie had guilt written all over her face from the moment Stefan left the Gilbert house after their lip-lock. But then she had to leave the house to help Caroline organize the 20s decade dance with Elena.

The twins ended up hanging some decorations on the lower wall, making things as good as possible so that it'd be Caroline approved. Natalie couldn't stop glancing at her sister, and Elena noticed. "Nat? What's going on? Are you okay?"

Natalie's eyes widened as she kept her gaze on the taller brunette. "Oh, ehm, yeah. Well... no. If I told you something, could you please not react as badly as you probably could?" she asked sheepishly, turning away from the wall, the doppelganger following her lead so they were standing face to face.

"Sure." Elena shrugged, not really expecting it to be anything too bad, probably just Natalie being afraid of losing Alaric and wanting to confide in another family member, seeing as a newly returned Jeremy was helping Matt do other decoration stuff.

"Stefan and I kissed." the huntress blurted out, and for a moment it was quiet, Elena just staring at her with a shocked expression, not expecting that. "And it wasn't the first time. It happened the night he left and that was why I was ignoring you that summer, and I'm so- so-"

She was cut off by a sting on her cheek as she saw Elena's glare on her as she held her hand in her other. The huntress raised her hand to her cheek as she realized that her sister just slapped her. Harder than she thought she could. "I deserved that."

"Yeah, you did. You kissed my boyfriend." the elder twin spat, looking at the other female with what could only be described as a betrayed look, as if she couldn't believe what she had done, even after knowing the feelings the two harbored for one another.

Natalie frowned as she noticed that one word that her sister used that she didn't have the right to use anymore. "Your- your boyfriend? Did you seriously just call him your boyfriend?" 

"Of course I did!"

Natalie tried to refrain from slapping the ignorance out of her sister, because she really needed a reality check. "I'm saying this as your sister, who is becoming more and more worried; stop living in that fantasy world where you and Stefan are still together! You broke up, a while ago, actually. You just don't want to admit it. So if you want to say that he cheated, fine. But you should know that you're lying."

"That still doesn't give you the right-" the doppelganger started, trying to defend herself from her sister acting as if she was insane and unrealistic.

"I don't have the right to be kissed by Stefan? But you have the right to go make out with Damon in a skeevy motel? Yeah, I know about that. As much as I want you to be happy, I don't want you to be a hypocrite." the shorter brunette retorted, crossing her arms over her chest, hoping that her sister would listen to her own words before throwing them out there.