SEVEN

savannah's pov

two hours were almost up, and i was almost finished perfecting the article...that is until my computer decided to freeze on me.

"ugh! you've got to be kidding me?!" i yelled as i constantly started pressing different buttons on the keyboard.

"everything okay?". i looked up to see jack standing in the doorway, i barely even realised that he was still working.

i shook my head before answering, "no, actually. i was almost done and the fucking computer froze".

jack started chuckling at my frustration, so i furrowed my eyebrows at how he could possibly find any of this funny.

"sorry," jack apologised once he noticed my face. "you're just cute when you're angry" he said and i leant back against my chair, with my arms folded across my chest.

"can you just help me fix it, please?" i begged.

he grabbed one of the spare chairs and bought it next to mine, "what about your computer tech boyfriend?".

"what about him?".

"can't you call him to help you fix it?" jack questioned with his eyes focused on my frozen computer screen.

"well, he's got some tech convention thing early in the morning so,".

he sniggered and i looked at him with confusion, even though he wasn't facing me. "wow, i never thought that you of all people would date a nerd" jack smirked.

"and why's that?".

"did you not see the guys that you dated in high school and college? they were complete stuck up, douche bags that carried a football or basketball, and fucked every girl on the cheer squad".

i scratched the back of my neck as i thought back to my previous boyfriends and their fuckboy ways.

"yeah, you're kind of right" i chuckled.

"kind of? johnson and i had to beat up so many assholes back then for messing with our girl" jack reminded me, and i couldn't help but smile at how he referred to me as his girl.

***

silence soon filled the room and you could only hear jack typing against the keyboard, constantly clicking the mouse and the sound of our breathing.

"so about before the wedding-" i tried to begin, because even though it's in the past now, i just feel like i need to apologise.

"hey, don't worry about it" he said, shaking his head.

"no, i was just overwhelmed and my emotions were on the edge, i didn't mean to ruin your wedding day".

"you didn't, trust me, i just overreacted savs" jack continued to brush off, but i still felt at fault.

"no i did, maybe i was exaggerating with the whole 'i love you' stuff like come on, we would of never worked out any ways" i laughed then jack awkwardly chuckled back at me.

"what's that supposed to mean?" he asked and turned to face me, completely forgetting about my computer.

"jack, we've been best friends since we were eleven, we have the same friendship group, i mean, we don't even have a spark, we just..."

"we just what?" he immediately responded and my eyes widened at his reaction.

"wow gilinsky, are you really getting offended right now?".

"pssh, no" he scoffed and scratched the back of his head, but i still wasn't convinced.

"good, because as far as i'm concerned, i feel nothing for you but friendship" i finalised and started scrolling through my phone to text lauren.

"oh, is that so?" jack raised his eyebrow at me with this smirk on his face that he usually does when he's up to something.

i laughed at his expression then locked my phone again, "what?".

"so if i did this," jack said and held my hand lightly. "you'd still feel nothing?".

i playfully rolled my eyes at him as he acted like we have never held hands before. "seriously, jack?"

"or this?" he continued, completely avoiding my question, and this time placed his cold hand on my mid-thigh, causing me to gasp a little.

"...nothing" i managed to say.

"ok, then what about this?" jack used his finger to lift my chin up and bring our faces closer to one another, so our noses were touching. the smirk on his face disappeared and he stared at me with his lips a little parted, and his pupils now dilated.

our breathing started to increase in silence.

"...still nothing" i eventually told him, but this time trying to hide the fact that i was completely flustered.

"good," he breathed. "because me too".

"then why is your hand still on my thigh?" i questioned, almost inaudibly. jack licked his lips pink lips before slowly removing his hand, to quickly swivelling around to focus back on my computer.

i don't know what that was, but it was as if i was holding my breath for a few seconds, and as soon as jack looked away, i was allowed to breath again.

it wasn't like i was suffocating or anything, it was just more like everything had paused, in that exact moment.

i could only see the back of his head now, but i leant back in my chair, running my hands through my hair, and feeling my heart try its best to leap out of my chest.

i don't know what just happened, or why it happened, but i do know that i can't just forget about it.

-

omg i hope you all liked this chapter! this story is so exciting to write and i have so many ideas for the next few chapters :)

pls comment, vote and share ily.