Chapter 18

I woke up to Jonny's phone vibrating non-stop somewhere in the living room. Sighing I pulled out of Jonny's strong grip and looked around at where it could be. Ah, on the coffee table. I reached forward and grabbed it. I rubbed the sleep out of my eyes and looked at the screen there text was from someone with the contact "maman". That's mom in French, for the record.

Maman:

Joyeux Anniversaire Jonny! Dad says he loves you

My eyes opened wide. I don't really know much French... But I do know enough to know that it said "Happy Birthday Jonny". Holy shit. I can't believe I didn't know. How could I not know it was Jonathan Toews birthday? Normally one of the girls at the diner would be rambling about the guys and how excited she was to celebrate a guy on the teams' birthday. The stuff I learned from customers was actually pretty weird.

Once I could fully stand up from the couch I slid the warm, red fuzzy blanket that was on the floor on top of Jonny to make sure that he'd be warm. He had probably put it over us after I had fallen asleep last night. Eh, whatever, then I walked into the kitchen and looked around at everything that he had in there.

There was a bowl of fruit sitting in the center of the island. Yumm, a fresh looking apple! I reached forward and grabbed it before rubbing it on the shirt that Jonathan had given me the night before. Then I happily took a large juicy bite out of it. Mmm-mmm. Everyone had to love a nice juicy apple, right?

I know what you're thinking; why not make breakfast for the lovely birthday boy? Well, I'm still somewhat new to his apartment and let alone his kitchen. I didn't want to mess with anything around it. Also, maybe I would take him out for breakfast... But I don't have the money.

Fuck. I feel so bad. I wish I could tell him that I'm not exactly the wealthiest person without him or the guys treating me like a charity case. I've already gotten, easily, $400 from them just in tips because they think that I need generous donations for college. Which I do, but I can't keep taking their money. It doesn't seem right. I'm gonna have to give a lot of generous donations once I get a real job.

I sat down at the island in Jonny's kitchen nibbling on my nice juicy apple. Then Jonny sleepily shuffled into the kitchen while rubbing at his eyes and letting out a long yawn. His shirt rode up as he rubbed at his eyes. That bare patch of skin was really attractive. "Well, hey there sleepy! Did you sleep well," I asked and took another bite of the apple.

He chuckled and sat down on the stool next to me, "Eh. I would've slept longer if my main source of heat wouldn't've left me."

I giggled and smiled over at him, "Sorry, I couldn't sit still anymore!" I pulled my phone out of the shorts that I was wearing, "ah fuck. I need to charge my phone." And I don't have a charger for it. Eh. Whateevr it can die, I guess.

Jon chuckled again and looked over at me with a smile still playing on his face, "what kinda phone you have?"

I looked down at my pathetic phone, placing it down on the counter top before mumbling, "Blackberry. It was all I could really afford."

Jonny got up from his stool, not saying anything as he went over to a drawer in the corner of his kitchen. He rummaged through it before pulling out a cord. I just stared at him. He has a really nice ass. Especially with the way his mesh shorts are hugging it. "Well," he said turning around with his hands gripping it tightly, "I guess you're in luck that I never throw away any of my chargers despite my mom always telling me to." I took my eyes off his ass.

I reached out and grabbed the cord from him with a smile on my face. "Thank you Jonny! Who knew that it could actually be good to not listen to their mom," I joked before standing up and bringing the cord over to an outlet, plugging it and my phone in.

He smiled back as the two of us sat down at the island again. I leaned over and placed a light kiss on his cheek before happily saying, "Happy Birthday Jonny!"

Jon's smile only grew as I pulled away and said that, "How'd you know, Jess? I don't ever remember telling you."

"Well, I didn't know until this morning," I confessed and shrugged my shoulders, taking one of my last bites of apple, "I woke up to your phone getting multiple texts... And while I don't know much French... I knew enough to know your mom's text said happy birthday."

His brown eyes lit up, "Well, thank you. I've already gotten that from a lot of people... But I really like getting it from you." He leaned over and pulled me into him. My face just rested on his chest. I took in his warmth, practically melting into it.

I slowly wrapped my arms around him and mumbled into his muscular chest, "You're welcome, Jon. If I had known earlier I would've gotten you something." Probably free breakfast at the diner... But it's the thought that counts, right?

"No, Jessie, you being here right here, in my arms, is all I really need. It's making today the perfect day. There's not a care in the world. I don't need hockey when you're here. So thank you. Thank you for being here," He told me and tightened his grape around me.

So, this is what it's like to be wanted by someone, huh? It feels quite nice.

"You're, uh welcome," I mumbled into his chest, "But I'd like to breathe sometime today though."

"Oh," He replied dumbly and let go of me quickly before looking me in the eyes, "I'm sorry! I really didn't mean to... Now... Would you like a real breakfast? Not just that Apple?"

I nodded slightly before smiling back at him, still looking dead into his eyes, "Sure. What are you going to make us Chef Jonathan?"

He smirked at me before shuffling over to his refrigerator and looking in it. He popped his head out over the door and asked, "Eggs and turkey bacon okay with you?"

I nodded and replied, "Yeah. You make whatever you want! It's your birthday. You deserve to do whatever you want! And now that it's off season can't you ease up on the diet? Or no... Because you're Captain Serious?" I had a devious smile playing on my face by now. I know that he doesn't like that nickname... I mean who would?

"Well," He started and stood up straight looking at me with a raised eyebrow, "first off if you're here... everything is perfect. And second off, I am not Captain Serious. I may be a hard ass at times, but every captain needs to be that way. And lastly, I can eat whatever I want, no matter the time of the year. I want an extra greasy burger in December? I'll have one! If I want to have a whole triple chocolate cake the day before game seven of the Finals? I'll ha-."

I cut him off by coming over to him and putting my hand over his mouth, giggling, "Geeze Jonny! I was kissing! Take a joke, huh? And we all know you! You wouldn't eat a whole triple chocolate cake the day before the finals!"

He pulled my hand away from his mouth and looked down before looking back up at me with a smirk, "Okay, yeah you're right about that one Jess. Now be quiet!"

I laughed and tried to walk away from Jonny but he kept his grip on my wrist and pulled me towards him. He smashed his lips into mine and wrapped his arms around me. I will never get used to that. Never.

~~~ What'd you guys think!?! Let me know in the comments! :)