Chapter 9

"Jessie! Are you wearing makeup for your date," Sue asked as she brought a few dirty plates to the kitchen. I sighed and served someone their cup of coffee.

I shook my head and put an order in for Tony, "Nah. I hate makeup! Plus, it would just be a waste of time, no matter what I do it smudges off. I'm happy without it!"

"Yeah, I know the feeling! I hate makeup too! Now, hurry up and go get in those tight skinny jeans! Look hot," Sue smiled and me and pushed me towards the bathroom.

I giggled and walked towards the bathroom with my bag in hand. I quickly got ready. When I stepped out of the stall I went over by the sinks and looked into the mirror, studying my hair. It was slightly tanged towards the ends so I ran my hair through it and happily smiled at my reflection.

Happy with my appearance I walked out of the bathroom hoping to see Jonathan waiting for me. He wasn't. I sighed and went behind the counter while looking at my watch, 6:02. Okay, that's fine. I'll give him a few minutes before I start freaking out. Then I pulled out my ipod and checked to make sure it was hooked up to wifi.

It was. And there was no text from Jonathan saying if he would be late or if he had to cancel. I shook my head and distracted myself by going to take someone's order. I pulled my apron on and tied it as I walked over to table 7.

"Hey guys, welcome! I'm Jessie and I suppose I'll be waiting on you today! What can I get you to drink today," I questioned and pulled my note pad from my apron.

"Iced tea," the lady who was in her late twenties spoke up. I smiled and nodded.

"Uh, I'll have a coke," the man, who I believe was her husband replied with a smile on his face. I nodded at him as well.

"Oh! And I suppose our little one here will have chocolate milk! It's been his favorite lately," The female piped up and placed her hand on the little blonde boy's hair. The little boy looked up at me, he had big brown eyes. Just like Jonathan. Gah.

I smiled brightly at all three of them, even though it was fake, and replied, "Alright! I'll get those for you right away! Then I'll be back to take your food orders!"

"Thank you," the man told me and picked up his menu, looking at it.

I nodded and wiped the smile off my face and went over to the soda fountain, pouring the Iced Tea and the Coke. Then I walked over to the mini fridge and poured the chocolate milk. Placing them on the tray I had and I began walking to their table. Sue briefly stopped me and gave me a look with a raised eyebrow.

"Honey, you're not supposed to be working right now. You should be waiting for Jonathan," Sue exclaimed and placed a hand on my shoulder.

I shook my head and looked at my watch, which was on my freehand and mumbled, "I need something to distract me! He's already 10 minutes late! I can't just sit and think about it!"

"Okay hun, if you want," Sue replied sympathetically. I nodded as she dropped her hand and walked off to the table placing everyone's drinks in front of them.

"Okay guys! What can I get you guys to eat," I asked and leaned my tray against my stomach putting my note pad on top of it.

"Well, I'll have the Californian burger, No lettuce please and extra Avocado," The lady told me with a smile and placed her menu towards me.

"Okay, Ma'am and how would you like that done," I asked and looked down at my note pad.

"Uh, Medium is just fine," She replied, I jotted it down.

"Alright, and for you sir," I questioned and quickly glanced at him with a fake smile playing on my face.

"How about the everything omelet? And Brandon here will have the Mickey Mouse pancake," He exclaimed. I winced when he said the everything omelet. That's what Jon always gets.

"Alright! I'll go put in your guys' orders right now! Is there anything I can get you anything else," I asked placing the tray under my arm and pushing my note pad into my apron.

The man looked around at the tabled and replied, "Nope! I think we're good! Thank you!"

I sighed and walked over to the window, placing the order sheet on the wheel. I then looked around the diner and made sure everyone was taken care of. They were. I fell into a chair and stared directly at the door, hoping that Jonathan would walk through it at any minute.

As I sat there Sue came up and stood in my line of vision, "Honey, if you look at the door any longer it'll probably explode."

"I know," I mumbled and pulled my ipod out of my pocket, looking at it. Nothing. I shooky my head, "Do you think he found out?"

"Honey! Even if he knew he'd still want to go out on a date with you! He wouldn't care if he found out you were hurting for money! It's okay! Give him another hour... Then you should go home and do something like study! It'll take it off your mind," She informed and gave me yet another sympathetic look.

I sighed and gave her a brief smile, "I guess I can just finish up on the table that I'm working right now. Then I'll go home." I was ready to cry. I felt to embarrassed.

"Okay honey! Take it easy on yourself," Sue smiled lightly and walked off to one of her tables. I sighed and unlocked my ipod, clicking on a game app. I played it until that families orders were ready. Then I loaded them up on the tray and placed a fake smile on face approaching them.

"Aright! Here you guys go! Can I get you anything else," I asked looking at all of them and studying their drinks. The Coke was running low, "Another coke?"

"Yes please! Hey Brandon... Do you need more milk," The man asked his son and lifted his sons little kids cup, "And another Chocolate milk, please?"

"Sure thing! I'll be right back," I exclaimed with my still fake smile practically plastered on my face.

I walked away and got them both a brand new drink. Then I walked back and gave them all their drinks, "How are the first couple of bite guys?"

They were all mid bite and gave a thumbs ups. Okay then.

"Alright! Here it the check! Feel free to leave the money at the table when you're done! Thanks for coming! Have a nice night," I smiled and the family and walked away.

Once the family left, and Jonathan still hadn't came I walked over to their table and cleaned it off. Then I went for the money. They paid their bill... But left a 50 dollar tip and a little note on the receipt. It read;

Jessie (hope that's how you sell it)

Couldn't help but hear that you were working extra and got stood up by your date for the night. We're very sorry for that... We've both been through that before, so here is our thanks for you being such a great person and being so nice under the circumstances.

Thank you

- Hammel Family

Tears started to run down my cheeks. I really got stood up, didn't I? Why did Jonathan do this to me? I bolted straight out of the Diner and straight to the apartment. Not looking at anyone. I was completely humiliated.

~~~ Thanks for reading guys! Let me know what you thought! :)